Should I bother with protein powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    Yeah! You can. Most of the women use protein powder. The main thing is to keep in mind is the amount of powder. You all know that there is 2 faces of each and every thing. So there is also two faces of protein powder one is good and second is bad. Try to use it in a limit for getting the best result.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder when I'm having trouble hitting my protein goal (I usually try to get it all in via "actual" food, ie meat/lentils/quark/etc, but sometimes that just doesn't work out), which tends to be on workout days. I favour the unflavoured versions, because while I have a bit of a sweet tooth, the flavoured versions are MUCH too sickly sweet for my taste. I've tried both casein/whey mixes and the dreaded s-word versions (soy isolate, which I will continue to use as I haven't noticed any ill effects and as it has great protein-to-fat/carbs ratios; I do respect the opinions of those who avoid it and won't push it on anyone).

I won't lie, though, the unflavoured ones also taste quite vile: casein/whey has that note of lukewarm milk and soy isolate often has a gritty mouth-feel if you don't use enough fluid, plus a mystery taste I can't identify. My solution has been to mix it into food rather than smoothies: mince is a good medium as the power blends well with it if you add it while frying. Don't mix soy isolate with coffee, it's a disaster.

TL;DR: I use it if I can't hit my protein goal for the day with food and use unflavoured versions as the others are too sweet for my liking. Unflavoured ones can taste icky too, though.