how much weight fluctuation in a day is normal?

Options
I weighed 142 the other day. Today i ate horribly. I had a couple oreos, a grilled ham and cheeses with a cup of instant ramen. Then i had around ten fried Chicken wings dipped in mild sauce ( its this saucemixed with ketchup and bbq sauce ). I had two hand fulls of fries dipped in the sauce too. I also had 4 or 5 ghiradeli dark chocolate squares. I also drank a ton of water... Well, i weighed myself about an hour ago and it was 150... Is the food i ate enough to make me weight fluctuate that much? I have been fluctuating between 140-143 for quite sometime now...

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I weighed 142 the other day. Today i ate horribly. I had a couple oreos, a grilled ham and cheeses with a cup of instant ramen. Then i had around ten fried Chicken wings dipped in mild sauce ( its this saucemixed with ketchup and bbq sauce ). I had two hand fulls of fries dipped in the sauce too. I also had 4 or 5 ghiradeli dark chocolate squares. I also drank a ton of water... Well, i weighed myself about an hour ago and it was 150... Is the food i ate enough to make me weight fluctuate that much? I have been fluctuating between 140-143 for quite sometime now...
    It's oaky. It's just all the food and water in your system. You don't gain fat in a day, it's progressive with eating over your TDEE on a fairly consistent basis.

I LOVE chicken wings, by the way. :bigsmile:
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself very often as I try to go by the way my clothes fit. I'm sure my weight fluctuates plenty but I cannot stand to watch that yo yo effect from the scale.

My suggestion: ditch the scale and go with how you feel!

Don't worry about 1 bad day of eating. Get right back on track when you realize what you hav done!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most people can fluctuate anywhere from 5-10lbs in one day. I am usually 5lbs in the difference from morning to night.

Add in extra food, sodium and water you consumed - I don't think 8lbs is a wild fluctuation.

You may still retain some water for a day or two if you ate higher than normal sodium.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I woke yesterday at 152.3. Went over my calories by almost 1,000. Drank lots of water as usual. Out of curiosity, got on the scale at 157.8 5.5 lbs gained. I've seen the scale fluctuate quite a bit, since I don't weigh on a regular schedule, so I just wanted to know what my "range" was.

Woke up this am at 152.3.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It's normal..if I have lots of treats, I fluctuate for a few days.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i can fluctuate by a kilogram. depends on fluid consumption, salt intake mostly and those things can affect you for a few days and if you have an intense exercise session which actually makes it worse for retaining water and salt while the body heals and readjusts.

never worry about during the day tho too many variables with food, liquids and activity, just weigh first thing after you've woken up and preferably gone to the toilet (yes whats in your bowels can add weight in lbs) in the morning and thats it if you are gonna weigh every day. First thing in the morning is gonna be your lightest in general.

Others said just go with look and feel, thats the best option, scales are at best an educated guess they can't tell exactly what your compasition is, for all it knows your body is entirely fat when it could be really muscly or get a professional test periodically to find out for sure what your body composition is.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's oaky. It's just all the food and water in your system. You don't gain fat in a day, it's progressive with eating over your TDEE on a fairly consistent basis.

I LOVE chicken wings, by the way. :bigsmile:

This too, as i said it's primarily the food waiting to be digested and or waiting to leave by way of poop or pee and water/salt.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    a grilled ham and cheeses with a cup of instant ramen. Then i had around ten fried Chicken wings dipped in mild sauce ( its this saucemixed with ketchup and bbq sauce ). I had two hand fulls of fries dipped in the sauce too.
    Sounds salty. The food weighs something, but it's probably more your body retaining water.