People yappin' at the gym - rant

Options
I hate people yappin' their mouths at the gym.
If you have that kind of breath to yap away with your friend, you're doin' it wrong!
You're just wasting your time and money in a gym class.
And i lose my concentration and get out of the 'zone' because of you!
Seriously... Have i become a 'gym nazi' or do you feel the same way?

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Can you just wear earphones and not listen to them? :drinker:
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I go to classes with a coach so have to listen to the instructions.
    Mind you, i wear ear plugs because the sound gets so high and i already have a damaged ear from going to too many concerts.

It's the fact that some yapp away constantly that i don't get. Why don't they just yapp over coffee?
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, some people do a lot better working out while talking.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Holy crap you should have seen the guy at my gym this morning. I was there for about an hour and in that entire time I think he did 4 sets of very loud calf raises, after every set he walked around the entire gym, with a serious case of ILS, whistling and singing loudly. When I was doing dumbbell bench press he stood about 2 feet away staring at me. He tried to start up a conversation but I just shut it down. Everyone one else who was there was having a bit of a giggle about him.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I hate the yapping prancers too ????
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    That is why I listen to my headphones when I am doing exercises other than Zumba.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You need to remember that not everyone has the same goals. Many will be there just as a healthy way to escape the children and catch up with a friend. They're paying their money and helping to keep the place in business for everyone so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Earphones are your answer if they are distracting you. Just comfort yourself with an occasional glance over at their low calorie burns ;-)
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    All gym addicts are strange, yappers or otherwise
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I work out with my bf once a week or so, but I honestly prefer to workout alone...I don't get as good a workout because I need to keep it at a level where I can talk. But I like spending time with him so I just consider it kind of a "break," plus it's always late at night, so not many people there to disturb.

A class, though, I think that would be a different story.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm a yapper. I'm doing sets at around 85-95% of my max so I need long rest breaks. Therefore between sets I talk.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had that experience yesterday...and I workout at home...:noway:

My friggen man child is in my workout room chatting away, expecting answers etc...

I'm like don't talk to me in the middle of a set...

He was good until my last rep on my last set of OHP, he starts again asking questions, stupid me answered not thinking...I failed....and I was in the zone then all of the sudden bam...gone...bar didn't go up...I cursed.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

My friggen man child is in my workout room chatting away, expecting answers etc...

He was good until my last rep on my last set of OHP, he starts again asking questions, stupid me answered not thinking...I failed....and I was in the zone then all of the sudden bam...gone...bar didn't go up...I cursed.

Talking to someone mid-set is a major offence. Threaten bodily harm if he does it again.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Talking to someone mid-set is a major offence. Threaten bodily harm if he does it again.

most definately esp since I have weight plates available...(he is a big lad)
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    You need to remember that not everyone has the same goals. Many will be there just as a healthy way to escape the children and catch up with a friend. They're paying their money and helping to keep the place in business for everyone so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Earphones are your answer if they are distracting you. Just comfort yourself with an occasional glance over at their low calorie burns ;-)

Alright, i'll be more understanding of the low cal burners :)
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I suppose we all have habits and quirks that are 'strange' to others.
    I like gym classes because when everyone is so into it, it pushes me to go further (and i really need to be pushed!)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    question?

do you need a stepper or a full blown ladder to get up on that high horse of yours???
    I suppose we all have habits and quirks that are 'strange' to others.
    I like gym classes because when everyone is so into it, it pushes me to go further (and i really need to be pushed!)

do if you don't want to socialize- get out of the classes and go lift weights.

And I'm not going to lie- I"m LOLing at you " in the zone" in a class.

it's a class. You just do what you're told.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    question?

do you need a stepper or a full blown ladder to get up on that high horse of yours???

I mean, right?

OP sounds like a bundle of fun.

I go to CrossFit every morning at 6:00am because I like starting my day with my friends. There are obvious varying degrees of intensity. When we are doing strength and we are between sets, we chat. When we are mid-set, it's all business. When the WOD starts, no one even exists to each other.

Lighten up.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with what other people do at the gym. Sometimes I go with a friend so of course we yap. if I am bothered by others' yapping, I turn my music up
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Gyms are just social clubs in disguise
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes.

(to the first part of the question).