Exercise at the difficult time of the month

Options
I am normally pretty good at working out 5-6 days of the week. I have a hard time during my monthly period because of fatigue and cramps, especially if I have had a long day at work. This results in me not getting much in the way of cardio or strength training on 4-5 days every month. I walk a lot at work and that does not change. Does anyone else have the same problem and do you think this will cancel out the hard work and effort taken the rest of the month? I also notice an increase in weight a few days before my period which generally comes off at the end of it.

Replies

• khillman77
    Options
    I have the same problem also...It takes everything in my power to get to the gym and when I get there I just =dream about going home!!!! :smile:
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Know that if you exercise during your period, you WILL feel better. Exercise helps those muscles in your abdomen relax because of movement and stretching.
    The weight gain is totally normal, we all get it.
    Make sure you're geting enough protien during that time, your body needs the iron because of the blood loss.
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    I have the same problem as well. It is obiviously your hormones...I was reading something in oxygen about it..I don't recall which month but I'm sure you could look it up on the website. If you are having a tough time, do a half work out....something is better than nothing, do some yoga, go for a bike ride or a hike.... do something you don't normally do for a workout. For me I usually do a half workout, because at other certain times of the month you really give more (because you have more testosterone at that time in your body) . I think that as long as you stay active and eat clean most of the time , everything will be fine. It is OK to be tired...our body is working overtime at these times.
    I hope this helps :)
  • Eidajan
    Eidajan Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks everyone, its good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I am pretty sure the added weight is water weight but its still frustrating.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I NEVER feel like I have the energy to work-out when I am on my period but as soon as I start I actually feel WAY better. In fact, one day I was having cramps that were making me double over. My husband came home to do our "Insanity" work-out. I told him to do it without me. He said, "Come on, it will make you feel better." I'm thinking to myself, "What does he know?"

But I got up, got dressed, and after the 10 minute workout all of my cramps were gone. I couldn't believe it!
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i agree with the others - finding the motivation to do ANYTHING during p-week is super hard... but once you get out there it does feel way better!

and also make sure to drink lots of water on p-week, keep your system flowing and try to beat the bloating!
  • troublejane
    Options
    We have been programmed to want to slow down at this time of month. We should learn to listen more to our bodies! Basically, in cave-woman days, if we were running around bleeding then large hungrey animals would stalk and kill us. if we didnt' feel like doing much then we would stay put and less likely to be killed and eaten. This is also why we feel the urge to gorge on carbs just before and then don't feel so hungry once we get it. (ie, cave women would eat a lot and then woudln't feel the need to go out and forage for food during)
    Listen to your body and don't be so hard on yourself. So what if you miss a few days every month? Take some time to sit quietly, meditate about the path you are on to health and take care and pamper yourself. :)
    If you can do a little bit of yoga or stretching at home then do something like that and take it easy... your body knows best...
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am normally pretty good at working out 5-6 days of the week. I have a hard time during my monthly period because of fatigue and cramps, especially if I have had a long day at work. This results in me not getting much in the way of cardio or strength training on 4-5 days every month. I walk a lot at work and that does not change. Does anyone else have the same problem and do you think this will cancel out the hard work and effort taken the rest of the month? I also notice an increase in weight a few days before my period which generally comes off at the end of it.

You will not lose all your fitness just because you do not train for four or five days in a row, if that did happen a hell of a lot of people would be fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit, fit, unfit :laugh:

The weight gain just before your time of the month is common and really to be expected, it is fluid gain.

Working out and exercise do help with period cramps, however, I know that it's easier said than done to get motivated and doing that exercise. If you are walking and finding that helps, stick with that.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    After I had my daughter, I no longer get cramps during my period. I have an IUD, so maybe that's another reason. But I still work out. I am on it now and haven't noticed a weight gain, but lost .5 pounds this week. Usually I lose 1 pound so I am hoping that it's just from my period. I actually posted a thread not long ago about it. Lol