food after exercise

Options
so i was just wondering what type of food you like to eat after you exercise? i personally love eating peanut butter and apples. particularly with protein and healthy fats and carbs for muscle maintenance. i want to know what other foods are especially good for after a work out.

i also really enjoyed this short article :)

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/8-perfect-fitness-foods

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    wendys chili i think its only like 210 calories and a great alternative to fries the small has more portion than a large fry has tons of protein and veggies
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    a healthy serving of lean meat (mmmmm MEAT) cruciferous veggies and a couple giant glasses of ice cold water. :bigsmile:
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Apples and peanut butter are a favorite of mine, as well! I'm also a big fan of cottage cheese with fresh pineapple. A cold glass of skim milk also tastes wonderful after a workout, and it's packed with calcium and protein.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    actually i eat and then go exercise (Walking) within 30 minutes--burns more for me that way.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, PB with apples, cheese and grapes, salmon (if I have it), 1/4 cup walnuts......those are my top five. :)
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    wendys chili i think its only like 210 calories and a great alternative to fries the small has more portion than a large fry has tons of protein and veggies

Looks like 220 calories, 18g protein. It has 870mg sodium, though, which is pretty high. I hate sneaky sodium...they put so much of it in everything :-/

Me? I like non-fat light yogurt or non-fat Greek yogurt after a workout, but most of the time I'm not too hungry.
  • raven5131
    Options
    I am not usually hungry after a workout either so I have gotten in the habit of having a protein shake with water not milk. Works for me. If I am hungry I will also have some lean meat to try to up the protein. I also like it because it has no carbs.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions!! i looove cottage cheese <33
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options

Looks like 220 calories, 18g protein. It has 870mg sodium, though, which is pretty high. I hate sneaky sodium...they put so much of it in everything :-/

Me? I like non-fat light yogurt or non-fat Greek yogurt after a workout, but most of the time I'm not too hungry.

oh i dont really get the whole sodium thing? explain??!?
  • hingebre
    Options
    Chocolate milk is actually a great post-workout recovery drink. It's got the correct ratio of carbs to protein (4:1) and is tasty and filling, especially if you're not in the mood to actually eat something.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

oh i dont really get the whole sodium thing? explain??!?

Sodium = Salt. It occurs naturally in our bodies (why tears & sweat are salty) and is balanced by water and potassium. If you have an EXCESS of salt (Consuming more than 2500 mg (FDA) or 1750 mg (AHA)) It will cause you to retain water which makes you bloat andand will throw off your electrolyte imbalance which ultimately can cause high blood pressure leading to increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

Unfortunately it's added to EVERYTHING because salt inhances the taste of an otherwise bland or flavorless meal, helps preserve the food or the company manufacturing the food owns stock in Morton's (kidding on the last one but the other 2 are for real.) If you're trying to tone up and want to avoid hypertension (high blood pressure) steering clear of salt is a major deal.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you. :drinker:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Last night I ran and when I came home I was STARVING an hour later (I had just had dinner 3-4 hours before). I ended up eating a fat free yogurt. It is low in calories,has no fat, and was just enough to fill me up so I could go to bed.