MFP Guilt

Options
2»

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else been on here for a while with no friends, just enjoying the site for the logging aspects but then gaining friends and suddenly beginning to question eating habits? Like gee, I'd really like to eat this tube of raw cookie dough but I don't want people seeing it in my food journal. Awkward.

I thought about this seriously, and after much consideration, this is what I came up with.
    Eating some cookie dough = yummy goodness in my mouth. #win
    Eating a tube of cookie dough = wtf was I thinking?

In your scenario, I think the 'diary logging/caring that people might see and/or say' aspect saved you from making the mistake of eating a whole tube of cookie dough, which generally, just sounds like a bad idea.
    Eating a tube of cookie dough would be dreadful... IMHO only homemade cookie dough is worth eating in mass quantities.
    cookiedough.jpg

... Yeah, I agree with Fitfully_Me... I think my FL has kept me from doing something stupid more than once. Even though my friends are more likely to cheer or console than to scold. Only thing I've gotten called out on is the diet Coke I'll never ever ever give up. It's rather tasty with chocolate chip cookie dough, by the way.

Re private diaries... People with private diaries are usually boring. Or recovering from ED. I understand the latter; I drop the former eventually unless they seem to be giving or receiving some other kind of "friend value." I feel guilty if I don't interact with friends at least once in a while, and it's hard to keep up a conversation with a wall of "X completed her diary for today and was under her calorie goal."
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope I do what the eff I want. My diary is wide open and I never get any "helpful comments". :noway:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Edit: repeat post.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Nope I do what the eff I want. My diary is wide open and I never get any "helpful comments". :noway:

Just HAD to creep your diary because.. amazing shoulders. Curious: How are you able to look like this on a deficit?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Just HAD to creep your diary because.. amazing shoulders. Curious: How are you able to look like this on a deficit?

Heavy lifting :)

ETA- I follow StrongLifts 5X5 lifting program mostly. Also thanks :flowerforyou:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

A deficit is why she looks like that.....less body fat helps the muscle show through! Plus she is awesome and works hard in the gym.

My FL is mostly made up of people who understand that it is okay to have treats like ice cream, cookies, and what ever you want and still meet your goals. I never feel awkward about what I eat or afraid of what my FL will think. I actually see more complements to and from my FL for fitting in the treats.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I will never keep my diary private. If you dont like what Im eating just dont freaking eat it.

I have a bowl of ice cream with wheat thins ever single day :laugh:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    thats why i keep mine private

dont wanna read thoughts on my food
  • JusticeFit003
    Options
    Eat what you want and log it.... Make your dairy private if you worryu what people think. I eat what I want just make it small portions, some times you have to cheat on some bad food every now and then......
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary locked for that reason- I'm doing this my way and its working for me, so!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, this sort of sanctimonious unsolicited 'helping' is something most people could do without.

It's all on a voluntary basis. I don't see how there's anything sanctimonious about it. I have one friend that just spent two days in the hospital from crisis level high blood pressure. Today I had to point out that they were misreading the nutrition label on one of their logged items and that the item they logged was being measured in grams not milligrams. They took 3000 mg shot of sodium in one meal. They had no idea. Some people need that person to look over entries. Sorry that you think that's somehow offensive.

I don't find it offensive but I guess we just have different views on this.

Pointing out someone made a' typo' error in their logging - ie a muesli bar couldn't really be 1850 g, did you mean to enter 185 g? - yes that would be fine.
    Telling someone they shouldn't have x amount of sodium or shouldn't be eating anything....say, cookie dough - No I wouldn't appreciate that.
    I would find it sanctimonious and interfering.

Fortunately I dont have any friends who do this so isn't a problem for me.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to feel judged, even if it's only in my own mind, I just don't put my diary completion on the newsfeed. I've generally only had a positive experience with diary sharing. We all have our vices and want to accomplish our goals, there's a comradery in that.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I actually find it really helps me to stay on track XD I like eating healthier and better when I know my mfp friends can see it, and in turn it makes me feel healthy and awesome xD
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of crap. I log the fact that I eat a lot of crap. I also log my binges. It is what it is & I'd find it weird to have my diary closed - I'm not going to lie to myself or others about what I eat. Que Sera, Sera....
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends, and yeah, sometimes I think about how the food I'm contemplating eating will be judged by friends. It's a nice dynamic, almost like an invisible buddy to help make the decision.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm new at dieting and fitness, myself. I think my food diary is open to friends, but not public.

I'm not particularly worried about what others think of my choices. If I want to know, I'll ask for opinions. I'm not the type to get up in arms over unsolicited advice or criticism because I don't pay attention to it anyway. I'll decide for myself whose views influence my thinking. If I do ask for opinions, then that means I'm open to considering other viewpoints.

Having said that, I believe in being honest with myself, and that means being honest with everyone. If I'm not ashamed of my choices, then there's no point in hiding them. It is what it is. If I am ashamed of my choices, then that probably means I need to think about it and change accordingly. I guess that's my advice to anyone who would ask.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My diary is open in my friends, but I don't close it out in the evening so that it doesn't show up on the newsfeed. If I have a particularly good day, need help, want to share a recipe, etc, they go can look, but it's not in their face all the time.