Can you really lose weight eating whatever you want?

Options
13»

Replies

• laoliviabeachbum
    laoliviabeachbum Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so I follow a low GI foods diet as much as possible. If I ate 1500 cals of chocolate, crisps and bread a day it wouldn't work for me. So for me it's how much AND what I eat.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's always how much you eat. You can eat 1,500 calories in donuts and still lose weight. Just like you could eat 3,000 calories in broccoli and gain weight.

Yep, true. Except I don't think it's physically possible to eat 3000 calories worth of broccoli in one day... our stomachs aren't big enough. :tongue:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so I follow a low GI foods diet as much as possible. If I ate 1500 cals of chocolate, crisps and bread a day it wouldn't work for me. So for me it's how much AND what I eat.

That is true, medical issues are an exception to the rule.
  • blooming_soul
    blooming_soul Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If the majority of your calories is from garbage food, your body will be starving for nutrients and will hold onto the fats/carbs/sugars/sodium that you are in-taking. It will be harder to lose weight because your body will be in "starvation mode". If your body is totally satisfied nutrient-wise, and you have small portions of unhealthy snacks it wont make a big difference. You will find over time that the more veggies and lean protein you eat, the less your body craves the garbage food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If the majority of your calories is from garbage food, your body will be starving for nutrients and will hold onto the fats./carbs/sugars/sodium that you are in-taking. It will be harder to lose weight because your body will be in "starvation mode". If your body is totally satisfied nutrient-wise, and you have small portions of unhealthy snacks it wont make a big difference. You will find over time that the more veggies and lean protein you eat, the less your body craves the garbage food.

That is not what starvation mode is.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If the majority of your calories is from garbage food, your body will be starving for nutrients and will hold onto the fats/carbs/sugars/sodium that you are in-taking. It will be harder to lose weight because your body will be in "starvation mode". If your body is totally satisfied nutrient-wise, and you have small portions of unhealthy snacks it wont make a big difference. You will find over time that the more veggies and lean protein you eat, the less your body craves the garbage food.

Bull...
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had my annual physical last Friday. My doctor hadn't seen me since I started losing weight 7 months ago and was shocked when he looked at my current weight vs last years physical.

He asked me, "how did you lose that weight?"

My reply, "the only way I know how to lose weight..."

His reply, "and that is?..."

My reply, "eat at a calorie deficit consistently!..."

His reply, "by watching your carbs?..."

My reply, "no, by eating whatever I want to eat, just less of it..."

Rocket science, eh?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Denying yourself what you like is just making it harder for yourself. If your goal is pure fat loss then it doesnt matter WHAT you eat.

To quote a friend from a year or two ago:

1) Hit your micro/macro goals

2) Create a moderate calorie deficit

3) Stop micromanaging crap that doesnt matter

It's that simple.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yep. Eat whatever. Just eat less of it. I just lost over 20 lbs on a diet most composed of baked potatoes, fried eggs, and chocolate cake.

If that tells you anything about my *terrible* diet...which still results in weight loss with caloric restriction. :D
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Both.

Yes, you can lose weight eating whatever you want with a calorie deficit, but...

I don't buy the whole "all calories are created equal" stance.
    How do you explain that someone on a low carb diet can eat MORE calories and still lose weight? I know, because I've done it.
    Just a thought for discussion...
  • SixteenthOfJuly
    Options
    Yes. You can eat 600 calories worth of unhealthy food and lose weight rather than 2000 calories with healthy foods,
    But you should stick to 1200 worth of vegetables (I don't want to get stampede by a bunch of people saying I'm promoting "starvation mode")
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Yes. You can eat 600 calories worth of unhealthy food and lose weight rather than 2000 calories with healthy foods,
    But you should stick to 1200 worth of vegetables (I don't want to get stampede by a bunch of people saying I'm promoting "starvation mode")

Nope again.

Assuming 2000 calories is a deficit for you, you can lose weight eating 2000 calories fo "unhealthy" food or 2000 calories of "healthy" food.
    See the twinkie diet I linked earlier.
    If your deficit is 1200 calories and you eat 1200 calorie of "unhealthy" food, you will lose weight. If you eat 2000 calories of "healthy" food, you would actually gain.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    OP: Yes, you can lose weight eating whatever you want, AS LONG AS you keep a calories deficit.

WHAT you lose, however, be it fat or muscle, is dependant on other things, lifting, etc.

Can you get healthy eating whatever you want? Thats a different subject....
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Net calories (surplus or deficit) are all that matter for your changing your weight.

Macros and exercise matter for body composition.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Net calories (surplus or deficit) are all that matter for your changing your weight.

A perfect summation <3
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's always how much you eat. You can eat 1,500 calories in donuts and still lose weight. Just like you could eat 3,000 calories in broccoli and gain weight.

This guy knows what he's talking about. He's done amazing, and eats all sorts of unhealthy things. :) He's also completely freaking awesome, btw.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

A perfect summation <3

Agreed. But I would add "for body composition and health".
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I see no one wants to touch the low carb phenomenon. LOL
    I'm not necessarily promoting it as a weight loss method, but the evidence is there. Just wondering if anyone has an explanation for it, or just thoughts on the matter?
    I for one, have been doing it intermittently, along with exercising, calorie deficit, and 1-2 "cheat days" a week. So far it works better than anything else I've tried, and I know I'm losing fat because I'm showing more definition without much strength training.