Can't feel full caused by overeating [HELP!]

Options
Hi guys. New here and all. But I need your help; over the past several months I've been really stressed out about my job and I've been over-eating alot even when I'm not hungry. This in turn has caused my appetite to skyrocket and I can eat ridiculous amounts of food without feeling full or satisfied from a meal.

Over the past two days I've decided to eat smaller and healthier portions but my appetite is still high. I'm beginning to lose hope, already.

How long does it take before I get my hunger/appetite back the way it was before I binged? A month? A week? A year?

Replies

• sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body. I would say to eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to fill your appetite, and make sure you don't have a deficiency in any vitamins & minerals, because that can cause unnecessary hunger. Eat your healthy meals and drink water afterwards. If you're still hungry, grab a bowl of fruit, carrots, etc. Just watch any dips and don't add any sugar!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I disagree with replacing one good with another. Since you identify stress as the culprit to overeating, work on lessening the stress and take some time deflecting the need to eat to relieve it. In other words, occupy yourself if you are not genuinely hungry and find something else to do rather than eating. If you are hungry, eat what you want in moderation. You have control over food, it does not have control over you.
  • Pentrazemine
    Options
    Nooo, you don't get what I'm asking.

So far I've been a little over a week by eating smaller portions and I still can't feel full or satisfied from a meal anymore. I'm asking as to how long do I have to go until I get to feel full or satisfied from eating? When I binged the past several months I over-loaded on my hunger signals and now I feel like I'm a robot gonking down food with no feeling.

How long until I re-adjust my body again? 2 weeks? A month? A whole year? Is this permanent?

Please tell me!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can tell you. It's not that simple. Everyone is different. Log your food, eat within your calorie range. Go for a walk, drink a ton of water, focus on something else.

If I think I'm hungry but I've had all my calories, I will drink a whole bottle of water and do something else. If I'm still hungry, I'll eat something.

Other than that, this can be difficult at times but just focus on being healthy and think about what you are eating and decide if it's worth going over your daily calories.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't a timetable or chart to use for guidelines. Your body will adjust will it's ready. In the meantime, follow the advice stated about stress, eat a decent amount of protein, and drink water before each meal.
  • Pentrazemine
    Options
    Fair enough guys and thank you for the advice.

Just one last question, though:

Is this permanent or can it be reversible? I'm afraid that it's permanent and that gives me ideas on slipping and binging again with the feeling of helplessness that I can't bring back my full/satisfied feeling like I had when I was eating normally a few years ago.

This isn't permanent is it? I'm not permanently damaged am I? If I keep doing the smaller portions, ad nauseum, and staying healthy my full/satisfied signals will come back, right?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Keep celery at your desk or in your purse. Make your urge to snack beneficial for you. Celery is good for you and a great way to keep you hydrated too.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The feeling of hunger you feel when first restricting your calories lower than usual does NOT last forever if you are restricting within reason and within your goals. HOWEVER: if you are a person that stress eats, it is very likely that you have been associating hunger with things that have nothing to do with your body needing food. Look into mindfulness exercises for food: It could be that you need to retrain yourself to pay attention to your body and disconnect the stress with the "hunger" trigger.

To help me feel more full on less calories, what works for me (promise I am not recommending for everybody just sharing what helps me) - is to include LOTS of protein and healthy fats and fruits and vegetables. For me personally, things like bread, cereal, popcorn, rice, tortilla chips, any junk, etc makes me feel almost hungrier after instead of being satiated. So what helps me when I really put my mind to dropping my calories and losing some weight is to select high protein foods, include lots of fruits and vegetables, and things like almond butter, avocado, seeds, nuts, and olive oil. When I look back through my diary, days where I did that all day, I had lower calories but felt fuller than the days that I had 2500 calories of junk!

Stick to your goals, and look into getting professional help if the overeating is not something you are having success with on your own. Good luck friend!