Exercise Stationary Bike Alone

Options
MrsC1st
MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
Can you lose a lot of weight using a stationary bike? What is your favorite piece of exercise equipment? How many calories do I need to burn, while consuming 1450-1500 calories per day. I'm 5 ft. 4 inches tall and weigh 192 pounds.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Sure
    2. Depends, but probably a dumbbell
    3. Probably none
    4. Good to know
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Can you lose a lot of weight using a stationary bike? What is your favorite piece of exercise equipment? How many calories do I need to burn, while consuming 1450-1500 calories per day. I'm 5 ft. 4 inches tall and weigh 192 pounds.

Yes, you can if you are running a caloric deficit to boot. I was on my stationary bike from January 6th until the nasty winter went away this year and dropped 18 pounds (1 pound per week) using the stationary bike4-5 days per week, and doing weight lifting the other 2 days (one day lower, one day upper).

I've got a LeMond upright stationary bike that has a computer console that measures Watts, Calories burned, HR, distance, speed, etc... . So the data gets transferred immediately to Training Peaks and MFP. The amount of calories burned will depend on the power you are putting out (resistance) and heart rate (training zones), so it is hard to calculate what you will need to burn each day without knowing how long, and how hard you are riding - and at what resistance level. I have my profile set to sedentary here at MFP and plug in my exercise each day as it varies week to week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.
    Losing weight is a start, but I like to keep my lean muscle active for all bodyparts, so like Dav, I use weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Losing weight is a start, but I like to keep my lean muscle active for all bodyparts, so like Dav, I use weights.

However, the OP can use exercise on the stationary bike to boost the calorie deficit. Not only is excercise for fitness and health, it provides us a chance to eat more food. And who doesn't like to do that? :-]

Nothing like burning 1000-2000 calories in a good workout session to earn some extra vittles. The last 90 days of my calorie burn through exercise...

14255420741_ea4438ef26.jpg2014 Calories Burned in Exercise
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    The bike is a very good option.

Gotta start somewhere.

This is also fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6WVOlETjw&feature=plcp
  • DavPul
    Options

However, the OP can use exercise on the stationary bike to boost the calorie deficit. Not only is excercise for fitness and health, it provides us a chance to eat more food. And who doesn't like to do that? :-]

Nothing like burning 1000-2000 calories in a good workout session to earn some extra vittles. The last 90 days of my calorie burn through exercise...

14255420741_ea4438ef26.jpg2014 Calories Burned in Exercise

That's true, but the OP is eating 1500 calories, so at 190#, she doesn't need to burn anything to lose weight. Plus a 1000 calorie burn would actually be a suboptimal outcome for her current plan.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    That's true, but the OP is eating 1500 calories, so at 190#, she doesn't need to burn anything to lose weight. Plus a 1000 calorie burn would actually be a suboptimal outcome for her current plan.

I guess I was assuming that she would log her exericse and the calorie burn from it each day to get a NET Calories figure per day. A little or a lot of exercise to earn an extra piece or portion of this or that, or glass of wine is always fun and worth the burn.

Assuming she is 192 pounds and is 5'4", there's a good 70 pounds or so to shed - the exercise bike with high calorie burns could help enhance the rate of weight loss. If she was sedentary, she'd currently need to eat 1893 calories per day to maintain her weight (according to http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-maintenance-calculator-daily-calorie-requirements/). Her deficit of 393 - 443 calories will yield weight loss, but it will be pretty gradual at that rate (less than a pound a week).

Since she asked, I was suggesting upping her calorie burn via the stationary bike could indeed increase her deficit - maybe get her in the pound to pound and a half loss per week depending on how many calories she burned on the bike and how many of the exercise calories she ate back (never the full amount of course when cutting).
  • DavPul
    Options
    We're on the same page.
  • lanakat
    lanakat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee......several months ago I started riding my stationary bike 5 minutes at a time. I slowly added time to my workouts. This week I have realized that I am up to 50 minutes of riding in one setting. Bike riding no longer seems to affect my knee. Im so excited that I am going to aim for an hour long ride tomorrow.

Unfortunately walks outside still make my knee act up. Does anyone know if there are shoes that are well made that would give me the support I need to keep the pain and swelling from occurring when walking on sidewalks? I want to walk at our community park but I do nott want to make my knee swell and cause issues again. Thanks for any input. :o)