sushi recipe?

Options
laureneva
laureneva Posts: 372 Member
anyone have a good sushi recipe that they know and use?
i want to try making it but have no idea which recipe to use out of the ones i've found so far

Replies

• laureneva
    Options
    anyone have a good sushi recipe that they know and use?
    i want to try making it but have no idea which recipe to use out of the ones i've found so far
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well you can buy the seaweed (Nori) in packs and the rice I use is medium grain cause long grain is too dry and you need it really sticky so that you cant get it off your hands. You add 2Tbsp of rice vinegar, 2Tbsp white sugar and 2tsp salt for every cup of rice. Then you need a bamboo rolling mat to help you compact the sushi tight so it wont fall apart. You just lay your seaweed on that, put a layer of rice on that, leaving some seaweed on one side to stick to the other side when rolled up. Then you put your line of filling and then you roll it up nice and tight, you can use some water to help it sitck. Then you keep compacting the roll in the bamboo rolling mat heaps or it'll fall apart when you chop it (or from my experience anyway). Takes some practise so don't make it for guests first time (lucky I didn't :laugh:).
    I'm not very good at it and I may be doing something wrong, I just bought everything and tried it. As for the rice recipe, my friends made it at school and it works for me so um yeah... happy sushi making:flowerforyou:
  • dgweisblatt
    dgweisblatt Posts: 52
    Options
    If you don't want to use sugar, you can use Rice Syrup instead. Takes practice, but it's lots of fun and very yummy!
  • laureneva
    Options
    Well you can buy the seaweed (Nori) in packs and the rice I use is medium grain cause long grain is too dry and you need it really sticky so that you cant get it off your hands. You add 2Tbsp of rice vinegar, 2Tbsp white sugar and 2tsp salt for every cup of rice. Then you need a bamboo rolling mat to help you compact the sushi tight so it wont fall apart. You just lay your seaweed on that, put a layer of rice on that, leaving some seaweed on one side to stick to the other side when rolled up. Then you put your line of filling and then you roll it up nice and tight, you can use some water to help it sitck. Then you keep compacting the roll in the bamboo rolling mat heaps or it'll fall apart when you chop it (or from my experience anyway). Takes some practise so don't make it for guests first time (lucky I didn't :laugh:).
    I'm not very good at it and I may be doing something wrong, I just bought everything and tried it. As for the rice recipe, my friends made it at school and it works for me so um yeah... happy sushi making:flowerforyou:

now see thats my problem, that sounds relaly difficult, and yet thats the easiest sounding recipe i've found so far lol
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    honestly I will not mess with this. unless I meake a california roll(which I hate so nevermind making it) I am a big fan of do it yourself alternatives bercause they are cheaper and healthier BUT given the raw fish they use is specially frozen so you can eat it I would rather leave it to the pros, cause food poisioning is hell...
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    honestly I will not mess with this. unless I meake a california roll(which I hate so nevermind making it) I am a big fan of do it yourself alternatives bercause they are cheaper and healthier BUT given the raw fish they use is specially frozen so you can eat it I would rather leave it to the pros, cause food poisioning is hell...

True that :)
    I love sushi, if I'm going to get it I like the real thing. And I don't know where I'd even look to find high enough quality eel or octopus that it could be eaten raw and not kill me. Its not like its too expensive either... traditional rolls near where I live cost about 4.95.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I :heart: sushi. I finally got around to getting a sushi chef friend teach me to make it. It's not hard after you do it a few times, it just learning that can throw you off a bit. My best suggestion is to buy a sushi kit, it comes with recipes, rice vinegar, and rolling mats. Some even come with a DVD that shows you how to roll it etc. They usually only cost about 10 bucks and you can find them at most local bookstores. It's a lot of fun plus it's yummy in your tummy. Good luck! :wink: :happy:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

True that :)
    I love sushi, if I'm going to get it I like the real thing. And I don't know where I'd even look to find high enough quality eel or octopus that it could be eaten raw and not kill me. Its not like its too expensive either... traditional rolls near where I live cost about 4.95.
    [/quote
    Absolutely true I say leave it to a professional you wouldnt perform surgery on yourself, I know thats the extreme but the idea that some foodbourne illness can be deadly. I am a bit anal about food safety though which is a good thing in our ever changing world. I just hit up the whole foods or something to get mine yummo with brown rice!!!!
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this myself. Although I haven't bought this yet...it sounds good:

Annie Chung's Sushi Wraps. They have the seaweed included and even the rice (and it's even BROWN rice!!). I think you just add your filling (fish, chicken, tofu, whatever) and you're good to go. Not exactly sure what stores sell it...but try Googling it.
  • msarro
    Options
    http://www.recipezaar.com/161198

Stuffed Avocado - False California Roll

Ingredients
    3 Hass avocado
    1 cup cooked white rice
    1 cucumber, peeled & chopped
    1/4 lb crabmeat (optional) or cooked shrimp (optional)
    1 tablespoon pickled ginger, minced (optional)
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons wasabi paste
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    3 tablespoons sesame seed (to garnish)

Directions
    1 Slice avocado in half and remove pit.
    2 Mix together remaining ingredients.
    3 Stuff into avocado half, garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy.

238 Calories
    17.3g fat
    549mg potassium
    3.9g protein
  • HBKHeather
    Options
    There is a great book called "easy sushi" that you can get at most Pier 1 stores - crazy right??
    It is a great beginning book. It teaches you about different kinds of sushi, how to make the rice sticky, how to roll it and everything else you need to know to get started. It is only like $10. Great investment if you want to start making your own sushi.
  • HBKHeather
    Options
    Also, if there is a sushi place near by they often have great deals on fish so you can by it from them and go home to make your own without worrying if the fish is raw and ok to eat. Good luck. Once you try a few times and get it down, it is not so hard. :smile:
  • msarro
    Options
    If you're just starting out making sushi, the easiest to make is nigiri sushi. Basically, go to a store and buy yourself a pack of nori strips, or sheets.

Also pick up some of the following:
    Pickled ginger
    Soy sauce
    Wasabi powder (cheaper than the paste, makes more, keeps longer)
    Sushi rice (any rice will work, but the more glutenous the better)
    Either sushi grade fish, or tofu
    Assorted veggies you'd like in your sushi.

Make the rice in a rice cooker or in a pot. If you're just starting you don't need to worry about rice vinegar. Rice alone is fine.

Take a clump of rice the size of your thumb and shape it into a rectangular cube. If you want, add a small line of wasabi, and strips of veggies thinly sliced. Now, place a strip of fish on top of that, or some tofu thats been marinated in soy sauce. If you want, you can wrap it with a strip of nori around the long side. Nice and easy :)

Maki sushi gets a bit harder because you need a rolling mat. For that you basically take a sheet of nori, place it rough side up. Coat it with a layer of rice. Across the center place a line of whatever filling you'd like in the center - avocado, carrot, egg, eel, fish.. whatever. Then you roll it, and use the sushi mat to tighten the roll. Then slice in half, and then slice each half into quarters, and then each quarter into eighths.
  • laureneva
    Options
    thank you ppl!:flowerforyou:
    i totally forgot about this thread:grumble:

still havent really looked into it yet but will next week