Can anyone help me make cup of tea that's drinkable?

saschka7
saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
I cannot make a cup of (black) tea to save my life. Well, I can make herbal tea just fine but any time I make black tea--whether it's Darjeeling or English Breakfast or anything else--it turns out completely unpalatable no matter what I do: it's murky and sometimes kind of bitter, even with sweetening (sometimes I use white sugar and sometimes honey, but just a little of either, not a lot.)

1. I make sure the water is boiling and not just hot.
2. I steep for about 4 minutes, depending on the tea.
3. I use filtered water from a Brita filter (not distilled or artesian). I have used bottled spring water and it's still yucky. :noway:

I have had decent and delicious tea before so I know it can be done.

Any ideas? I really don't get what I'm doing wrong.

The only black tea of my own brewing that I can drink is the kind when I say "screw it" and just top it off with some good whisky. Unfortunately, there are times when being whisky-free is necessary.

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    1.) don't wrap the tea bag around a spoon when you are done.
    2.) if you don't like bitter tea- I wouldn't let it steep to long.
    3.) try lady Gray- little bit more relaxed than earle gray
    4.) don't use English Breakfast- it's a pretty potent tea- Darjeeling is good if it's not over steeped- and the correct water to tea ratio (for me)

Obviously- this is palette dependent- but I love black tea- I just don't like bitter tea- so if it's a darker tea- I don't let it steep as long, and I use more water than normal- and I typically only stick with the bergemon family because I like it and it's harder to ruin.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I steep my tea bags for 5-8 minutes and it tastes fine.
    I also use britta.
    For black teas, I add almond milk and 1 stevia.
    Green and herbals I add nothing.
    I use Tazo mostly.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Don't let it brew so long. Unless it's green tea I leave the tea bag for 60 seconds if that.
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Try brewing your tea for less time. If I remember correctly, green tea is generally supposed to be brewed 1-2 minutes and black tea is 3-4. (At least according to the loose leaf tea brand I frequently buy.) Maybe try an "English Afternoon" black tea (Twinings has one). It's lighter than English Breakfast.

It's possible that you just don't like tea. That's okay--you don't have to drink it even if you hear its healthy.

I love Chai, especially if its homemade.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Cold fresh water from the tap. Or filtered through active charcoal such as Brita filters.

Thermometre to ensure the correct temperature for each leaf type.

High quality tea.
  • AglaeaC
    1.) don't wrap the tea bag around a spoon when you are done.
    2.) if you don't like bitter tea- I wouldn't let it steep to long.
    3.) try lady Gray- little bit more relaxed than earle gray
    4.) don't use English Breakfast- it's a pretty potent tea- Darjeeling is good if it's not over steeped- and the correct water to tea ratio (for me)

Obviously- this is palette dependent- but I love black tea- I just don't like bitter tea- so if it's a darker tea- I don't let it steep as long, and I use more water than normal- and I typically only stick with the bergemon family because I like it and it's harder to ruin.
    Do you mean the colour palette (black, green, white, etc.) or the palate in the mouth?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I prefer harsher blends, brew it strong - heaping spoonful of black tea steeped 4-5 minutes - and sweeten it quite a lot (one packet of saccharin per cup)... but that's because I like my tea strong and my drinks sweet (in general).

You should tell us how you like your tea so we can give you more hints on how to prepare it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    4 minutes? Wow. I just pour hot water on the tea bag and take the tea bag out. Maybe 20 seconds max. Depends on the brand though, some need a little more brewing time.
  • AglaeaC
    Isn't anyone using loose leaves???

ETA
    I've forgotten the amount of tea leaves; a teaspoon is enough per cup (portion per person) or it might get too strong.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    4 minutes? Wow. I just pour hot water on the tea bag and take the tea bag out. Maybe 20 seconds max. Depends on the brand though, some need a little more brewing time.

Yep I'm a quick bag dipper & squeezer.... My cuppa always tastes just fine to me. :drinker:
  • AglaeaC
    I just looked up the temperatures, since my usual tea is black. Black and oolong 95 degC, green and white 85. The water needs to boil, but you need to let it cool to those temperatures or it gets bitter quickly. Then let it steep for the 3-5 minutes (black) you talked about in the OP.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I like my tea brewed harsh and strong with a packet of sweet n'low and a little almond milk to mellow it out.

My favorite brands are all plain black tea (orange pekoe) in a big box. Luzianne, lipton,tetley,red rose (my personal favorite). I like everyday,plain, unassuming things.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Oh, and I rinse the cup with hot water and dump it before I throw the bag in, and then pour boiling water over the bag.

I can't stand microwaved tea.
  • AglaeaC
    If you're in Europe, Earl Grey should be readily available. My favourites are Kusmi teas and any tea house blends you buy directly from the shops. There are plenty of them in larger cities.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

ETA
    I've forgotten the amount of tea leaves; a teaspoon is enough per cup (portion per person) or it might get too strong.

I use loose leaf all the time and depending on the type, I'll often leave them in (mint, spearmint and chamomile). If it's a type that gets too strong for my tastes using that method, I put them in one of my tea strainers (hanging mesh ball). There's one Russian black tea that I love but it's so strong I only pour the hot water through a English style tea strainer or it's too bitter.
  • AglaeaC

ETA

I use loose leaf all the time and depending on the type, I'll often leave them in (mint, spearmint and chamomile). If it's a type that gets too strong for my tastes using that method, I put them in one of my tea strainers (hanging mesh ball). There's one Russian black tea that I love but it's so strong I only pour the hot water through a English style tea strainer or it's too bitter.
    Bodum has a strainer of extremely fine mesh and it's the only one I've tried so far to catch the tiny bits one can find in blends sometimes. The various house blends I might leave in like you said.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    I definitely agree with the others on not steeping it for so long. Also, don't squeeze the bag too hard when you take it out of your cup. You may be getting too many tanins which will make it both bitter and cloudy. Also, cheaper teas use the smaller broken leaf bits in the bags and create that nasty taste. You might want to try Stash or Harney & Sons for bags. I'd recommend loose leaf if you want the best tea. One of my favorites is Formosa Oolong - good hot or iced.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    I like black tea strong enough to make my hair stand on end. I use boiling water, let steep 5 - 10 minutes, and a bit (about a teaspoon) of Splenda to take the lethal edge off.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Scald the cup before making the tea - half fill with almost boiling water and sluice it around. Then make the tea with freshly boiled water. Also the brand is very important. As an Irish person I am a total tea snob and will not drink anything other than Lions or Barrys (Irish brands) to the extent that when I am going away somewhere I bring teabags with me. Experiment with brands until you find one that you like. You shouldn't have to steep it for that long and it should be a nice deep colour. I'm off now to have another cup of tea....
  • yorkshiregoal
    yorkshiregoal Posts: 41 Member
    Maybe try switching to another brand! Not all tea is created equal!! Many cheaper brands in my opinion can taste quite like sawdust, lol.

I would recommend the following teas if you can get a hold of them! If you're in North America, they may be in the specialty aisle (British foods) in your grocery store...

~ Twinings - English Breakfast

~ Yorkshire Tea - Orange Pekoe

~ Ridgeways Organic Tea - English Breakfast

Other than that, make sure the water is just off boiling, pour and let steep for 3-5 minutes, and whatever you do - do NOT squeeze the tea bag when you remove it!!!

An ex of mine also swore that tea tasted better out of bone china mugs... I myself enjoy regular stoneware :)

Have fun!