I'm Cofused!

Options
So, I just started MFP because I am trying to gain weight. I have always been small, but I think i'm too small and I could use some more lbs. After I entered in my information for this site..it told me that I need more sodium than calories? what does this mean and why? I thought sodium was bad for you? Can someone explain this to me please?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Where did it state that? Are you comparing sodium mgs to number of calories? My calories - 1680. My sodium requirement - 2000 mgs per day. You can't compare these 2 numbers.

Or maybe you can make your question more clear.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not inherently bad for you. We actually need some sodium to thrive.

What is bad for you is an excess of sodium.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • jtourtouropoulos
    Options
    under my goals and daily plan..it says I need 2,200 calories/day , 278 carbs, 74 fat, 111 protein, and 2,300 sodium. I guess im comparing my 2,200 calories/day to 2,300 sodium/day.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    under my goals and daily plan..it says I need 2,200 calories/day , 278 carbs, 74 fat, 111 protein, and 2,300 sodium. I guess im comparing my 2,200 calories/day to 2,300 sodium/day.
    do you compare pounds to centimeters?
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

Okay - calories and sodium are not comparable. Meet your calories. Once you are doing that, work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, & carbs). This is a pretty good way to make sure you are getting a healthy diet that will fuel your body.

As far as sodium, unless your doctor has advised you about sodium in your diet, try to keep it around the number you stated.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This is interesting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Calories are a unit of measurement. So are milligrams. Sodium is measured in milligrams. Food intake is measured in calories. You can't compare the two. It's like comparing apples and puppies.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Calories are a unit of measurement. So are milligrams. Sodium is measured in milligrams. Food intake is measured in calories. You can't compare the two. It's like comparing apples and puppies.

stock-photo-beagle-puppy-lying-in-red-wagon-with-apples-on-red-carpet-on-white-background-32750398.jpg
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

stock-photo-beagle-puppy-lying-in-red-wagon-with-apples-on-red-carpet-on-white-background-32750398.jpg

I just love apples and puppies. One of them dipped in peanut butter! :wink:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

There truly is a gif for everything! WOW!!!!
  • jtourtouropoulos
    Options
    Thank you for your posts and clearing this up for me. I feel like that's common sense I should have known! ha anyways, thanks, I get it now =)
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I just love apples and puppies. One of them dipped in peanut butter! :wink:

21b159ed8487d01f4ea52913804b870d.jpg
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of water weighs 5 g (5000 mg). Your daily intake of sodium should be 2 g. Hope it gives you a visual.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

QFT