StrongLifts 5x5 ?

Options
In my town, the high school is opening up the fitness center to the public for a really cheap rate beginning on Monday and I wanted to utilize it as a way to build strength while burning fat. I did some research on a few programs and StrongLifts 5x5 seemed to stand out the most for me. Last time I lifted weights was nearly a year ago, and it was mostly only casually. Now, I want a structured program. My current weight is 241 lbs and my height is 6'4".

Is SL a good path to go for me? What kind of growth can I expect to see? Should I still keep my calories at a deficit for this while losing weight?

Thanks for any answers that you may be able to offer!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, you won't really see any growth. However, you will still get stronger for a while.
  • lscalone95
    lscalone95 Posts: 16
    Options
    How long is awhile? What would be a better alternative to lose weight while getting stronger?
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    You can try what's called a 'recomposition' but you have to be very disciplined and it'll take a long time (some would argue that recomps are actually impossible). Beyond that I would recommend prioritising what is most important to you, gaining strength or losing weight, because (with the aforementioned exception) you can't really do both (easily/at all).

StrongLifts is a great choice for you either way. If you want to lose weight then this will help you spare as much muscle as possible and so, while in a calorie deficit, you will lose mainly fat. If you want to gain strength then this program and a small calorie surplus will do that for you.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Check out this group for specific information about lifting programs and training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Check out this group for specific information about lifting programs and training.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

This and...

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    How long is awhile? What would be a better alternative to lose weight while getting stronger?

As long as it takes. There's no way to predict. Strongflits is a good way to go, or starting strength. SS has less volume, so it's likely more compatible with a calorie deficit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SL for 5 weeks. I took my measurements during the first week and just took them again...

So far...

Neck -.25, right arm -.50, waist -.25, hips -.50, and right leg -2".
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Most of your strength gains early on will be from more efficient use of your muscles, using more muscles, and better coordination. You will make those gains even on a deficit, and in my experience, you can go as long as a year making just CNS (central nervous system) gains.