Question for swimmers

Options
I'm planning on a joining a gym early next week that has a pool. I'd like to use it a couple days a week (on the days I'm not running) to get in some cardio and do something that will give my knees a chance to rest in between runs.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone knows of any swimming programs. I'm a good swimmer but I've never swam for exercise, so basically I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I just hop in a pool and swim a couple laps or is there something similar to C25K but for swimming? Basically, I'm having trouble figuring out what my goals should be and I would love any input from those more experienced than I.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is an outstanding site overall, but to improve your endurance it is very productive to swim at your CSS. Go to this link and scroll down to "lactate threshold, threshold, and CSS."

http://swimsmooth.com/training_adv.html

They have some suggested workouts for each pace of swimmer.
    If you haven't been swimming for a while, you can probably just skip the CSS time trials and do the plan for "7:30/100m or slower." If you're faster than that, you probably know your pace ;-)