Lost weight, and my period?

Options
steephx0x
steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
Hello everyone, sorry if this is kinda gross. I have lost 20 pounds. I have 10 more to go to my goal of 135 (I'm 5'10 and 145 now). My highest weight was 165 and that was from slacking on workouts and drinking at college. I don't have much of an appetite ever. I've been trying to eat more lately as other members suggested to me. But since the weight loss I have also started having extremely light, almost non-existent periods that are farther apart than usual. I'm not pregnant. What's going on with my body?y fat percentage is 24%.

You can look through my daily logs. I don't log exercises, but I run and lift some weights and burn about 400 calories a day. I eat 700-800 cals a day. I know that's not a lot, I'm just never hungry. I lost the weight over 5 months.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How fast did you lose the weight? What was your gross and net caloric intake during that timeframe? Were you hitting all of your macro nutrient goals?
  • ForeverSunshine23
    Options
    It's probably because your not eating enough 700-800 calories is extremely low. You need more calories. I'm afraid you may hurt yourself if you don't get more calories. Try drinking milk, juice, or protein shakes to increase your calorie intake. Liquid calories count, it's really dangerous to go below a 1200 calorie diet.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    1. You are eating WAY too little.
    2. You are in a healthy weight range for your height now. If you aren't happy with how your body looks then you may want to try strength training so you can work on body recomposition.
    3. You are eating WAY too little. You are doing more damage to your body than you know. You are damaging your heart as well as other organs and losing muscle, possibly even bone.
    4. You're going to say "well I'm not really hungry"...that's because you've been eating so little that your body being the amazing and efficient thing a body is creates a hormone when it's not getting what it needs to take away hunger signals so it can try to survive on the little you're feeding it. You're body can work on that little for awhile, but not forever.
    5. Eat more food.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and just to cover all of the bases...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

I am NOT saying you have an ED. I don't know you and you haven't said much in here. I just want to cover all the bases.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

Honestly if your period has stopped then your body is telling you something. Why so few calories? You're young, you're tall, you should be eating more.

Google amenorrhoea. And I'd suggest going to see a doctor too
  • FightingFree
    Options
    If I was you I would go and see a doctor - depending on your circumstances, they may recommend going on the pill to induce it and help get your hormones back up to proper levels- take care of your body - if you don't eat enough now while you're trying to lose weight, when it comes to getting back to regular/maintenance eating, you're significantly more likely to overdo it like I did - best thing you could do at the moment is see a doctor, and see what they say- good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you're consuming 800 gross calories then exercising enough to burn 400 that leaves a net intake of 400 calories. Pointing out that you're eating way too few calories, failing to meet anything close to necessary macro levels, and risking permanent harm as demonstrated by your body's reaction is stating the obvious.

You need to give your body what it needs to survive. If you cannot do that on your own, get professional help.
  • irishkiss718
    Options
    First of all, I don't think you're eating enough. The lowest you should go is 1200 calories per day. As for your period, I think you should see a doctor. Ask them to check your thyroid as that causes irregular menstrual cycles.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, sorry if this is kinda gross. I have lost 20 pounds. I have 10 more to go to my goal of 135 (I'm 5'10 and 145 now). My highest weight was 165 and that was from slacking on workouts and drinking at college. I don't have much of an appetite ever. I've been trying to eat more lately as other members suggested to me. But since the weight loss I have also started having extremely light, almost non-existent periods that are farther apart than usual. I'm not pregnant. What's going on with my body?y fat percentage is 24%.

You can look through my daily logs. I don't log exercises, but I run and lift some weights and burn about 400 calories a day. I eat 700-800 cals a day. I know that's not a lot, I'm just never hungry. I lost the weight over 5 months.

You are eating 700-800 calories and burning 400 of those off in exercise. You are netting 300-400 calories per day. Your body doesn't have enough fuel to keep your organs functioning, much less the added ability to create a healthy reproductive system. If you have no appetite, eat more calorie rich foods when you do eat. You need to get your net intake up at least above 1200, if not higher.