Feel like a failure

Options

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    We all do it! Do not beat yourself up over it. Promise! You should have seen what I had yesterday! You are too hard on yourself, remember you are only human, you are allowed to party at times! Keep high spirits, don't let it get you down!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I had 2 slices of pizza last night along with 2 beers. Today I had 2 more slices of pizza. You will be fine. It is okay to eat pizza and cake.

While you are trying to lose weight, you are also living your life. "Dieting" isn't about depriving yourself of things you love and enjoying things that will happen in your life. You have to fit things into your life. You only get one life. So while I'm not saying eat all the foods every day, but when there's a party, enjoy it!
  • ElliTree
    ElliTree Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know if i start denying myself pizza my diet is gonna go sour pretty darn fast. I'm an accountant and I think writing things down and budgeting my calories really goes a long way. If you are not over your limit, no reason to worry about it :)
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It could also be a good sign that you feel horrible. We learn from our mistakes. But as others said, congratulate yourself for only having one piece of each.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    No.

It was a day. You get 364 more of them in the next year. If you crawl all up in your head with it then a day becomes a week, or a month, or just giving up. You have to learn to be human.

Or, as a very wise man once said to me.... If you're going to cry every time you burn the toast, what is left for you to do when the house burns down?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Wut?
  • jaymeqq
    jaymeqq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal but I understand your plight because once I start eating good tasting stuff I cannot stop. I don't have the willpower to go to a party and not sample the great food so I simply do not go if I can help it. Try to get back on your diet! Next time you go to a party, try bringing your own food or eat before you go. there is no room for pizza or cake in our meager menus! Remember, you have a cause! While you are starving for that next slice of pizza, let your tummy rumble and instead, write down on a piece of paper all the reasons why you are dieting! You can probably think of a million reasons! You know, the wonderful thing about being on a diet right now is all the wonderful fruit there is to snack on. cherries, watermelon, apricots, pineapple, strawberries, why everything is in season right now. I am on day 24 of my diet and I eat close to the same thing everyday. It might not be exciting or recommended but it helps so much because I will not stray off my diet. I brown bag it everyday. When I deviate from my menu, it is easy to risk going off my diet. like you did. Hope this helps.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Good.. Now 1 you know not to do it again.
    2 - go walk it off.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    2 - go walk it off.

She didn't do anything wrong in the first place. Even with eating what she did, she was still under her calorie goals.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I went to a birthday party for my friend's son and had a piece of pizza and a piece of cake and now I feel so horrible :(

Revisit this thread in a years time

Did it really matter?

Just make sure you don't end up writing a thread one day that starts "I eat loads of cake, and loads of pizza every day, and I always feel horrible"
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    2 - go walk it off.

She didn't do anything wrong in the first place. Even with eating what she did, she was still under her calorie goals.

*this*
    She did not do ANYTHING wrong!
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If it makes you or anyone else better, I went back to CA a few weeks ago and got a chance to get my favorite pizzas, I had two days where I practically overdosed on pizza. I lost count, something like 7,8,9 or 10 slices per day. And those were only two of the five days in my trip. :drinker:

I didn't feel bad about it, but that's just me. Of course, it goes without saying that eating one slice of pizza and one slice of cake and STAYING under your daily calorie limit, is a complete non issue. But I guess sometimes its best to say it. :flowerforyou:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Id feel like a success for only eating one piece of pizza...guess its all perspective. I work pizza and cake and wine and beer into my daily count... Once in a while its okay to have these things....all the time is where the problem comes in
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    What's more concerning to me is that OP says she feels like a failure for eating 1 slice of piece and cake and was under her calorie goal. Are you labeling these foods as bad? If so, stop that now. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. 1 slice of pizza and 1 piece of cake isn't a bad eating habit.

Remember, it's a lifestyle change, so you have to make the changes fit into a life you enjoy. If you label foods as good/bad and then get this upset over eating 1 slice of pizza and a piece of cake, you should really re-evaluate how you view food.
  • IamPZ
    IamPZ Posts: 3
    Options
    Man - I eat pizza all the time lol. Just gotta work it into your diet - if I know I'm eating pizza one night I'll usually have a small lunch.

Like everyone is saying - you can't just cut out all the amazing stuff in life in one shot! Or at all if you dont want - cut out the useless stuff like soda - but keep at least one thing. Pizza's my thing.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on
    this

I disagree with others who say it's ok. Are you depressed because you did something you didn't plan on doing such as going over your calories or are you depressed because now you are in a sugar crash and your brain is telling you you want more. If you exercise, the chemicals making you feel depressed will go away.

Next time, make your decision before going to the party. Are you going to have cake and pizza or not? If not, eat before going over.

HUH Ruthejp13 ??
    Exercise does not make the chemicals in a brain making one depressed go away. That would be therapy and a prescibed drug that "HELPS" with that. Endorphins make you feel better and exercise creates tons of endorphins. Why are you being a parrot? Depression isn't helped by exercise. You just feel better for the moments following it.

The 1 piece of cake, 1 piece of pizza won't hurt your diet very much. But if you ate the half of each YES! Its ok to make mistakes. We learn from them. Stop being so hard on yourself. Tomorrow work a bit harder on moving more, watch what you eat better. Its a new day.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people think the names of foods are something to feel guilty over. Pizza and cake are both foods that contain calories and macro nutrients. No different than anything else. Eat them if you want and work them into your daily goals. If you went over your goals eating the pizza and cake it could not have been by much. A regular piece of pizza and regular sized cake is going to be around 500 calories. If you are eating in a deficit you probably didn't even eat enough to go over maintenance. Next time you are going to go to a party, simply leave calories available for things like pizza and cake. There is no reason why you can't enjoy foods in moderation and still hit all your goals.

+1 :flowerforyou:

+2
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people think the names of foods are something to feel guilty over. Pizza and cake are both foods that contain calories and macro nutrients. No different than anything else. Eat them if you want and work them into your daily goals. If you went over your goals eating the pizza and cake it could not have been by much. A regular piece of pizza and regular sized cake is going to be around 500 calories. If you are eating in a deficit you probably didn't even eat enough to go over maintenance. Next time you are going to go to a party, simply leave calories available for things like pizza and cake. There is no reason why you can't enjoy foods in moderation and still hit all your goals.

+1 :flowerforyou:

+2

+3

In case anyone missed it, that post above answers at least 30% of all questions/concerns here.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal but I understand your plight because once I start eating good tasting stuff I cannot stop. I don't have the willpower to go to a party and not sample the great food so I simply do not go if I can help it. Try to get back on your diet! Next time you go to a party, try bringing your own food or eat before you go. there is no room for pizza or cake in our meager menus! Remember, you have a cause! While you are starving for that next slice of pizza, let your tummy rumble and instead, write down on a piece of paper all the reasons why you are dieting! You can probably think of a million reasons! You know, the wonderful thing about being on a diet right now is all the wonderful fruit there is to snack on. cherries, watermelon, apricots, pineapple, strawberries, why everything is in season right now. I am on day 24 of my diet and I eat close to the same thing everyday. It might not be exciting or recommended but it helps so much because I will not stray off my diet. I brown bag it everyday. When I deviate from my menu, it is easy to risk going off my diet. like you did. Hope this helps.

Meager menu??? Why are you starving? I can easily fit in 2 slices of pizza and a piece of cake while still losing weight? Why must you make this so difficult. I'm also not on a diet like you are using the word, that has an end date, and I eat all the foods I love just smaller portions and will do this for the rest of my life.

She didn't go off her diet, she ate food, she was even under her calories for a day. Overly restricting, labeling foods as "bad", being so damn hard on yourself to try and be perfect are the quickest ways to give up.

Yesterday I ate funnel cake, fried oreos, sausage & pepper sub, cheesesteak, and a gyro... don't feel guilty at all, I enjoyed every bite of it, and guess what it fit in my day because I ate smaller portions of them all. Do I eat like that every day no, but once in awhile it's wonderful :)
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Are you intending not to eat pizza and cake again for the rest of your life? If you do intend for them to be part of your future life then don't worry.

The very worst diets are those that deny foods that you would have as part of your normal diet. They aren't sustainable because, as you've found, they're NOT true to life. Nobody goes the rest of their life never eating cake, so why would you attempt to when losing weight?