Weight loss success turned nightmare!!!!

Options
pjsdj
pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
My cousin recently lost 90 lbs doing weight watchers and looks AMAZING!! So proud of her, but she is ow the all knowing on all things food and weight. I feel like for most of us we know the facts and it's mostly motivation we are lacking and it's great she found hers, HOWEVER!! I don't need an F-img lecture from her about every food item we see!! She's now a weight loss snob lol anyone else deal w this?

Replies

• TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You cold slip weight gaining supplements into her food and make her fat again?
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't need an F-img lecture from her about every food item we see!! She's now a weight loss snob lol anyone else deal w this?

I've dealt with this before.

I'd just say, "You make your decisions and I'll make mine, thanks very much." That usually shuts the entire topic down. If she persists, simply don't go places with her anymore and that'll get a message across.

ETA: You may also consider that, most of the time, everyone I've ever known that did WW ended up gaining the weight back....
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i kinda fall into that category :( I'm driving lauren mad with my calorie checking of everything...i see her having her lunch and i have to fight to not say "Do you know how many cals are IN that?!!?!"....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Something you just have to live with. Kindly tell her, "I know." when she goes off on a tangent and change the subject.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    MFP is a trillion times better than WW ever will be. I went on and off for decades and never really felt support. You'll do better in the long run if you stick around here.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Having lost weight, or being related to someone...or whatever...does not entitle anyone to an opinion on what anyone else looks like or what's on their plate.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight very successfully on WW and never gained any of it back. On the same note, MFP is also a very good program and it's free. I would explain to her there is more than one way to the same goal.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    like someone who's newly converted to a religion, it's made such a positive difference in her life that she wants to share it with everyone. She's just forgotten that not everyone will or wants to achieve the same thing, or achieve it in the same way. Best thing would be to have a little chat with her and explain that you're really delighted that she's been successful and is happy in her new lifestyle, but you're doing this a little differently, i.e. the MFP way, and some of her advice isn't right for you and that you're succeeding at what you're doing, but want to be left alone to do it your way. Then at the end of the chat reiterate how great you think WW has been for her, and how happy you are that she's happy and healthy.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would explain to her there is more than one way to the same goal.

This.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I fall into this category as well. :( I never had to be told how annoying it was though, I just shut up lol. My poor fiance was probably about ready to smack the smile right off of my face when I would talk about every calorie on the table!

She probably is either trying to help, or is just talking about what interests her. We all can become a tad obsessed through this journey and that isn't always a bad thing, but it becomes very important to count calories and think about it.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think it happens honestly. I'd probably just say "ya know, I appreciate the information but I have to do what works for me." And if that doesn't work try telling her, you just don't need the f-ing lecture. I know I'm guilty of this but it really is because I think I'm helping.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    She's probably just so proud of herself and doesn't realize your sick of her "new-found" knowledge. Take her out for a dressing-free salad and grilled chicken and TELL her kindly that although you appreciate her new healthy fitness, that you get a little tired of diet talk all the time. Just make sure after you don't go all MFP on her afterwards :laugh:
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    You don't learn FACTS doing Weight Watchers.
  • eustaciavye
    eustaciavye Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    How obnoxious and hard to deal with.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i kinda fall into that category :( I'm driving lauren mad with my calorie checking of everything...i see her having her lunch and i have to fight to not say "Do you know how many cals are IN that?!!?!"....

Watch out, ladies, somebody's about to be single again :laugh:
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    just take pleasure in knowing that while she is suffering going without you get to eat everything..in moderation. MFP is tired better than WW. Next time she says somerhing negative about a good, eat it slowly in front of her and moan on ecstasy. Then log it and move on. Maybe she'll get the idea you don't care.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers says veggies are free and not sure about fruits.....start telling her how many calories are in those....never mind its healthy to eat veggies and not many calories. You tell her to mind her business, if that doesn't work look calmly at her and say "shut the f*** up" the shocked look will be priceless and probably make her speechless :drinker:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Someone could probably say this about me, BUT I only ever say anything after I have to listen to them talking about me being too skinny, how they assume I don't eat at all, how I'm so lucky that this has been easy for me, how they have it so much harder because of a slow metabolism, food addiction, or some other excuse, etc. Even after listening to a lot of this, I hold back my own comments as best I can, but I know that sometimes I just end up bursting.