Diabetic Success Stories?

Options
gcbma
gcbma Posts: 112 Member
I'd love some diabetic successes! Pictures are a huge bonus!

Replies

• 319Sara
    319Sara Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am a 72 year-old Type !! diabetic. I started MFP in October of 2013 with the goal of losing 100 lbs, to get back to what I weighed in my 30's.. I also started adding more exercise to my life. with the goal of getting to 45 minutes of low-aerobic [heartrate of 65-75% of max] for six days a week.

The first two months were good on the exercise, but up and down on the weight. In December I began to lose about 1.5 lbs. per week.
    I
    In February I began eating VEGAN and no processed grains or sugar because I saw on PBS that would not only improve my health in general, but could decrease my need for diabetic medications [ I was on Actos and Glyburide]. Every week after I started eating vegan I had to call my doctor and report low AM blood sugar readings. Every other call the doctor's office told me to reduce one of my medications. Now, after three months I am only taking 1/8 of the medication I was taking in February.
    over
    I have continued to exercise and log my food on MFP. I have continued to lose weight, now 40 lbs. on the way to 100.

I would post photos, but don't know how.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 20 pounds so no pics yet. But I had a really great surprise with my last A1C. Last fall it was 6.2 which indicates that I'm a well-controlled Type II. I figured I'd wait until I lose a little more weight before I had it tested again but I'm scheduled for a knee replacement next week and had to have blood work done pre-op. I was just hoping that I'd gotten it down to 6.0 so imagine my delight when it was 5.5! I believe it is a combination of better food choices and the 20# loss. I don't take any meds for the diabetes - wanted to control it with just diet and exercise. Hoping the new knee will make it possible to be more active. Losing weight with limited activity is hard...lol
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    Congratulations to Sara and Liz for your success! You both sound determined to improve your health, and that the changes you've made to lose weight and lower blood sugar levels are working out really well for both of you. Good luck with the knee replacement Liz. Just think how well you'll feel when you're able to exercise again! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Awesome job both of you!! Inspiring!
  • trimminit
    trimminit Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'd love some diabetic successes! Pictures are a huge bonus!

That would be me!!! I'm a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed at age 12 and I just turned 47 last month. I use an insulin pump. I joined MFP three years ago needing to lose over 100 pounds. I lost 100 pounds in nine months and then 110 by my one year anniversary and now have maintained that loss. I did it all naturally with a healthy diet and exercise. Here are some pictures and more of my story can be seen in my bio on my page.

scan0014.jpg

189520_10150152684986255_604361254_8053061_8088690_n.jpg

fatfatfat.jpg

Cindywinterformal.jpg

CindyLouisProm2012.jpg
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you everyone. I have my next A1c this upcoming Wednesday. My previous A1c, was 6 point something. I'm super anxious and hoping for a five in my next result!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you everyone. I have my next A1c this upcoming Wednesday. My previous A1c, was 6 point something. I'm super anxious and hoping for a five in my next result!

Are you a type 1 or 2 diabetic? My endocrinologist and primary doctor have both stated that if you're type 1 or a type 2 on insulin that you shouldn't aim for such a low a1c. The reason being, you're running too low with your blood sugars to get such a reading and you're at a higher risk of coma and death with such low sugars. Just be careful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!