So, I must be logging or doing something wrong.

Options
I am finding nearly every day before I even eat a morsel of food, i am close to my 1200 calorie goal and I am going nutso, thinking I should just forego food all together.

Today, for example, the below is my logging and it is 8:44 am. Granted, I start at midnight because I work nights, but all i have ingested food wise, is 4 slice of cheese and 1/2 cup of Chex Mix. How can I be so close to my 1200 calories and I didn't even eat a meal yet?

I woke up just now and had a craving for cheese so grabbed some out of the package in fridge. I ate the check mix at like 2 am while working.

I just filled my iced tea cup and it will last all day.

I just made coffee, and actually bought a new mug so i can better monitor it. I use a clear scoop for sugar and use about the same as a scoop for half and half. The scoop says 53 cc on the bottom, so I found a conversion online that says 53 cc equals 3.6 tbsp or 10.6 tsp. I put one scoop sugar in my 20 oz coffee mug and about 1 scoop of half and half. This will also last me most of the day, or until I won't drink it any more because it got cold.

I don't even have room for my salad later on.

This is sad and very discouraging. I don't drink alcohol, do any drugs, but i have a cup of coffee a day and iced tea throughout the day. I really don't feel I can give these up.

Can any of you see anything obvious?

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Cream - Half and half, 3.6 tbsp
70 2 6 2 22 0
Sugar - Sugar, 10.6 tsp
159 45 0 0 0 45
Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 20 fl oz
6 0 0 1 12 0
4c - Iced Tea Mix Natural Lemon, 20 oz
175 45 0 0 13 45
Add Food
Quick Tools
410 92 6 3 47 90
Lunch
Add Food
Quick Tools

Dinner
Add Food
Quick Tools

Snacks
Chex Mix Sour Cream & Onion - Snack, 1/2 cup
120 20 4 2 180 2
Essential Everyday - Jelly Beans, 7 pieces (41 g)
75 19 0 0 5 15
4c - Iced Tea Mix Natural Lemon, 16 oz
140 36 0 0 10 36
Cheese - American, 4 slice (1 oz)
420 2 35 25 1,668 1
Add Food
Quick Tools
755 77 39 27 1,863 54

Totals 1,165 169 45 30 1,910 144
Your Daily Goal 1,200 150 40 60 2,300 45
Remaining 35 -19 -5 30 390 -99
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

Replies

• SixteenthOfJuly
    Options
    Maybe better or healthier choices? Or change it up.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Eat meat and veggies. 1 lb chicken 520, 1 lb celery and will total about 700. Stay away from processed food and quantity will go up
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The easiest place to start would be to cut way back on the sugar in your coffee and start making your own iced tea with a controlled amount of sugar. Can you increase your calories?

The only thing that really works for me is to plan my day, pre-log, and stick to it. Otherwise I wind up in the same situation, wondering when the heck I ate all the food.

(But really, almost 11 teaspoons of sugar in coffee is a lot. Do you really like coffee, or do you like sugar? You'd be better off buying a sweetened creamer. If you used the same amount of Silk's creamer that you do your half and half, you'd be at 70-80 calories and not need additional sweetener, so you'd save about 160 calories.)
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Maybe better or healthier choices? Or change it up.

The 4 slices of cheese was stupid. Out of 30 days, I do this maybe 1 x a month. It is not something I generally do but for some reason had a craving today, but that is my whole dinner there. Waste of calories, How can 4 slices of cheese be that many calories? Boggles my mind.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    The easiest place to start would be to cut way back on the sugar in your coffee and start making your own iced tea with a controlled amount of sugar. Can you increase your calories?

The only thing that really works for me is to plan my day, pre-log, and stick to it. Otherwise I wind up in the same situation, wondering when the heck I ate all the food.

(But really, almost 11 teaspoons of sugar in coffee is a lot. Do you really like coffee, or do you like sugar? You'd be better off buying a sweetened creamer. If you used the same amount of Silk's creamer that you do your half and half, you'd be at 70-80 calories and not need additional sweetener, so you'd save about 160 calories.)

The sugar is 1 scoop though, not a ton. If i use teaspoons I would guess I'd use 3. I don't know. The converter online said it was 10.6 teaspoons, and I used that cause the sugar entry only had teaspoons options.

The iced tea to me was a shock completely how many calories is in it.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    What is your weight loss goal set at? Perhaps, 1200 calories is too low. Many people choose 2 pounds a week for the fastest weight loss, but if it leads to an unrealistic goal (1200 cals), it might be too much. perhaps 1 pound a week would be more realistic? Hard to say without knowing more about you - height, weight, goal weight, etc.

As to you food diary, I'm a little confused. It appears you're using over 300 cals on your iced tea alone. Could you switch that out for water, or at least unsweetened tea? You could add a little of your own sweetener instead of the huge amount of sugar the company puts in each bottle. Also, using over 400 calories on cheese is a third of your calorie allotment, and give you little nutritional bang for your buck. And I see 10 teaspoons of sugar for your coffee? Is that correct? Because that seems like a LOT of sugar to me. Perhaps you could cut back there, or mix some Splenda or Truvia on as well to cut calories.

I'd recommend you make sure to get protein with each meal - it keeps you feeling fuller longer. Fat, too, but not too much. Stick to your allotments in your diary. Finally, the "Quick Add" calories is a convenient shortcut, but I'd try to be more precise with your food log. Weigh everything solid on a food scale. Measure liquids only. Consistency and accuracy is the key to success. Good luck!

ETA: I see everyone beat me to it again!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

The sugar is 1 scoop though, not a ton. If i use teaspoons I would guess I'd use 3. I don't know. The converter online said it was 10.6 teaspoons, and I used that cause the sugar entry only had teaspoons options.

The iced tea to me was a shock completely how many calories is in it.

It would be worth it to get out a teaspoon and find out how much sugar you are using. There's a big calorie difference between 3 tsp (45 calories) of sugar and 11 (155 calories.) If you aren't using 10.6, then you don't need to log 10.6 and can automatically eat more.
  • SixteenthOfJuly
    Options
    You learn to watch what you eat and what's in your food
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You probably need to post your stats. height, weight, age etc along with your weight loss aspirations 1, 2 lbs per week?

I see you would like to lose 85 lbs and have already dropped 2 lbs, how long is that over?

Also opening your diary would make suggestions much easier
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Re-reading your post, you say, "I don't even have room for my salad." Remember that you are making choices. If you don't have enough room to eat, it doesn't really matter that your liquid calories will last you all day. They aren't going to do much to nourish you or fill you up. I'm not saying don't have them, but this is a case of you can't eat your cake and have it too. You've just gotta find a way to make it work.

You can buy cold brew iced tea bags, lemon crystals, and use either a reasonable amount of real sugar or some sweetener of choice and still have a satisfying drink.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    What is your weight loss goal set at? Perhaps, 1200 calories is too low. Many people choose 2 pounds a week for the fastest weight loss, but if it leads to an unrealistic goal (120 cals), it might be too much. perhaps 1 pound a week would be more realistic? Hard to say without knowing more about you - height, weight, goal weight, etc.

As to you food diary, I'm a little confused. It appears you're using over 300 cals on your iced tea alone. Could you switch that out for water, or at least unsweetened tea? You could add a little of your own sweetener instead of the huge amount of sugar the company puts in each bottle. Also, using over 400 calories on cheese is a third of your calorie allotment, and give you little nutritional bang for your buck. And I see 10 teaspoons of sugar for your coffee? Is that correct? Because that seems like a LOT of sugar to me. Perhaps you could cut back there, or mix some Splenda or Truvia on as well to cut calories.

I'd recommend you make sure to get protein with each meal - it keeps you feeling fuller longer. Fat, too, but not too much. Stick to your allotments in your diary. Finally, the "Quick Add" calories is a convenient shortcut, but I'd try to be more precise with your food log. Weigh everything solid on a food scale. Measure liquids only. Consistency and accuracy is the key to success. Good luck!

I am 5 feet 5 inches, 48 years old, and weigh about 220 pounds. My goal weight is not really a number, just to lose and feel better, steadily, as time goes on. I cannot exercise much at the moment because of a bad back injury making any standing/walking/even showering very painful. I also have hypothyroidism. The thing is, I have never been a huge eater, and generally only eat one meal a day to begin with, so the 1200 is probably close to what I used to eat to begin with. My usual day before dieting would be same coffee, iced tea, and maybe bagels for dinner or i like the sausage/egg/cheese sandwiches, which I won't touch now, once a day. On a splurge day, when I get pizza for kids or actually cook, I eat more than usual. I snack a bit during working, but I feel it's a pretty healthy choice, considering I used to eat sour cream and onion potato chips.

ON the sugar, I don't know if it is correct, an online converter told me a 53 cc scoop is equal to 10.6 tsps of sugar, so that is what i put. Really trying to be honest in my logging.

I have lost some weight since I started, but feel I am getting nowhere on calories and use most of them up before I even eat.

I am drinking tons of water, in addition to the iced tea, and coffee. I like the variation of the iced tea. I used to drink soda, but cannot even stand the taste of it any more, and iced tea is the only thing I drink on a daily basis other than the 1 mug of coffee and my water.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I know this has been said before but try planning your days. At first I scoffed at the idea, but it has helped me so much. Also you have to make sure you have the lower cal food available to replace what you normally snack on. Inlove cheese too. Baby bell's are great and they are rich, almost better than any other cheese. I can eat one baby bell mozzarella for only 50cals. At work, I keep things like beef jerky, strawberry, yogurt, and salads handy. Yes it is a lot of work but it's worth it.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Maybe better or healthier choices?

Yep
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    I looove ice tea, I drink it every day but I prefer unsweetened so I don't even bother logging it. Yesterday I accidentally grabbed lemon and it took up almost 200 calories. Try making the switch to unsweetened ice tea. No artificial sweeteners, no carbonation, and no calories.

I have to have my cup or two of coffee in the morning. I use Splenda and skim milk instead of sugar and half and half. It's not quite as good but I got used to it and saved a bunch of calories for actual food.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I am afraid to open my diary, because feel some folks will yell at me because some days I am way under my calorie goals and drink diet shakes only. I know that sounds stupid. But, I am so very new at this and am trying really very hard to eat better, and get some wieght loss.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    When you drink over 300 of your calories in a single day, it's going to be very difficult to eat at a deficit.
    If you had 90% less sugar and not eaten the cheese (don't give into cravings-- wait until you are truly hungry), you'd have enough calories left to have either two small- medium meals or one large meal,

Cheese is very calorie dense. Read the labels or check the FP database first so you're not shocked next time. After a while, you'll get so you can guess-timate and it might be easier to make better choices.

Learn to like water and unsweetened beverages. I did 20 years ago. You can, too. You don't have to go cold turkey-/ you can just wean yourself.

And ask yourself do you really want to lose weight.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. The thing is, I have never been a huge eater, and generally only eat one meal a day to begin with, so the 1200 is probably close to what I used to eat to begin with.

ON the sugar, I don't know if it is correct, an online converter told me a 53 cc scoop is equal to 10.6 tsps of sugar, so that is what i put. Really trying to be honest in my logging.

Even with hypothyroidism, it's unlikely that you were eating around 1200 calories if you are currently 220 lbs. Most of us underestimate how much we eat.

Buy yourself a food scale or some measuring utensils. It's the only way out of your current dilemma short of just eliminating the drinks.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You're just going through what a lot of us went through when we first started counting calories. We don't realize that little slice of cheese is so high in calories.

It's ok. You're not doing anything wrong. This is how you learn.

So, now that you know what you're up against, you can make lower calorie choices. Cheese is a good condiment or a treat, but not good for eating to fill you up. Chicken, vegetables, whole grains...those are lower calorie choices that won't blow your calorie count out of the water.

Also, I would encourage you to start with a less aggressive calorie goal. Try eating 1800 calories a day or even 2000 and see if you lose weight on that. Based on what you've told us, 1200 calories a day is probably ridiculously low compared to what you were eating and you won't need to go that low initially to lose weight.

Good luck. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It's going to take way longer than you think, but you'll feel better and it will be worth it.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    When you drink over 300 of your calories in a single day, it's going to be very difficult to eat at a deficit.
    If you had 90% less sugar and not eaten the cheese (don't give into cravings-- wait until you are truly hungry), you'd have enough calories left to have either two small- medium meals or one large meal,

Cheese is very calorie dense. Read the labels or check the FP database first so you're not shocked next time. After a while, you'll get so you can guess-timate and it might be easier to make better choices.

Learn to like water and unsweetened beverages. I did 20 years ago. You can, too. You don't have to go cold turkey-/ you can just wean yourself.

And ask yourself do you really want to lose weight.

You are right on the cheese, I was not even slightly hungry, it was just an urge I guess. Won't be doing that again.