Calories

jamezln
jamezln Posts: 182 Member
Okay so I have found that for work, it's easier to take the same things everyday and I find that I am full. Yes I have blow up days where i'll eat pizza or some junk, but for the most part I stick to what's easy because I don't have a picky palate. The next thing is that I also work a swing shift, meaning for some of you I work days and nights and it looks sorta weird on my diary. The odd thing is, since I have started to weigh servings and such, I have found that my 1800 calorie a day diet is dwindling and it takes less and less for me to feel full. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Some would think it's a good thing, but my RMR is 2487 a day, and while I may be dropping weight, i'm just not sure if i'm missing something food wise. Is there something i'm missing vitamin wise or what do you think? I do drink a lot of water, and I take in a lot of protein. I guess i'm just fishing for some opinions to see if there is something i'm missing or just to get some advice. If my diary doesn't show let me know. I don't cheat my diary, no hidden soft drinks or dead calories missing. What you see is what I eat. Thanks, James

Replies

• It's a good thing.
    Keep up the good work
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    It's a good thing.
    Keep up the good work
    No! It's not a "good" thing that you're eating way under your goal on some days!
    You are NOT getting all the nutrients you need and that leads to health problems and binges and giving up!!!!
    Eat ALL your calories! Everyday!
    Add more protein, fruits and different veggies!
    You can do it-but please, be smart about it!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Yeah, you've got to up the intake. I have the same issue - I get full fast and am rarely, truly hungry. After asking for help on here (lol), I figured out the best way for me was to stop doing breakfast, lunch and dinner - and just have lots of healthy, high protein snacks on hand. If it's next to me, I'll munch on it even though I'm not starving. I have nuts, fresh fruit, raw veggies, etc and I pre-log them so I know I won't go over (and delete as necessary). When I sit down to have an actual meal is when I start failing.

I think for me, hunger just feels different or I don't recognize it.

But 800 cals in a single day for anyone is bad news bears.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    I think the difference here is on occasion, perhaps 2 times a week, it is acceptable to eat a larger deficit than usual. The key is making sure you get at least 3/4 of your protein goal. I do this because some days, I don't feel like eating. Then, I can make room for a slightly worse day of eating too much. Do what you want and don't listen to the fire and brimstone people!

I would say 800 seems low for a guy. Definitely don't eat that every day. But one or two days a week probably won't hurt much, especially if you try to up it just a bit more than that. If you truly have no appetite and no desire for treats, just manage small amounts of food high in protein.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    It's a good thing.
    Keep up the good work

Please do not take this advice, particularly from someone who claims that her 900 calorie per day diet is ok because she eats "super foods"
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    It's a good thing.
    Keep up the good work
    No! It's not a "good" thing that you're eating way under your goal on some days!
    You are NOT getting all the nutrients you need and that leads to health problems and binges and giving up!!!!
    Eat ALL your calories! Everyday!
    Add more protein, fruits and different veggies!
    You can do it-but please, be smart about it!

Agree that you need more fruits and various veggies in your diet, they seem to be lacking even on the days you get close to your calorie goal
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Okay so I have found that for work, it's easier to take the same things everyday and I find that I am full. Yes I have blow up days where i'll eat pizza or some junk, but for the most part I stick to what's easy because I don't have a picky palate. The next thing is that I also work a swing shift, meaning for some of you I work days and nights and it looks sorta weird on my diary. The odd thing is, since I have started to weigh servings and such, I have found that my 1800 calorie a day diet is dwindling and it takes less and less for me to feel full. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Some would think it's a good thing, but my RMR is 2487 a day, and while I may be dropping weight, i'm just not sure if i'm missing something food wise. Is there something i'm missing vitamin wise or what do you think? I do drink a lot of water, and I take in a lot of protein. I guess i'm just fishing for some opinions to see if there is something i'm missing or just to get some advice. If my diary doesn't show let me know. I don't cheat my diary, no hidden soft drinks or dead calories missing. What you see is what I eat. Thanks, James

James, it's all calories in vs. calories out for you to drop your 90 pounds. http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I looked at about a week of your diary and some days, in spite of you odd work schedule, you either are not logging some of your meals - or you are eating way under your daily needs. I liked seeing things like spinach, salmon, nuts, peanut butter, etc... in your diary.

I'm not pounding the table for eating clean (whatever that is), or suggesting one avoid junk. It's the calories in vs. calories out that are key to dropping the weight. However, I would pound the table on adding some more well known immune and performance boosting calories to fuel your work, exercise, and well being.

You can always drink a glass or can of V8 Original to make sure you are getting veggie nutrients. Easy to carry to work. And it's easy to keep a jug of that juice in your fridge. Tart Cherry juice is good as well to keep in your fridge for a glass with breakfast. In terms of good health, immune system, etc.... it wouldn't hurt to bump up your intake of Yogurt, Oats and Barley, Garlic, Black and Green tea (caffaenated or decaf - they both work), Chicken Soup, Fish, Beef, Sweet Potatoes, Mushrooms (especialy Shiitake mushrooms). The more we boost our immune system, the better we fight off illness and disease. Those are all well known and well used immune boosting foods and easy to add into your daily diet.

After that, I would suggest eating as many "super foods" that athletes use to help fuel their workouts. It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to work some of these into your daily diet and daily caloric intake to give you energy and help boost everything while runnig a deficit. Super foods such as Beets and Beet Juice, Vegetable Soup, Spinach (which I saw you do eat from time to time), Sweet Potato, Cinammon, Tomatoes, Avocados, Apples, Bananas, Cherries, Oranges & Orange Juice, Red Grapes & Red Wine, Trout, Grass Fed Beef, Tuna, Turkey Breast, Salmon, Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, Peanut Butter, Cashews, Barley, Brown Rice, Oats, Whole Wheat, Feta Cheese, Plain Yogurt (traditional or Greek), and Whole Milk.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    I'm all for clean eating. I log everything and the only time I don't is when I don't eat. On my dayshifts I do graze, however on the nights I will eat less. Also when I am off, I find that I eat less because I.....well I just don't take time out to eat. I'm working on that issue since a serious issue. I'll just add more fruit and veggies. Probably via green smoothies.