I want to start running

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i tried couch to 5k once. i didn't really like it. so instead i ditched it and just went for a run. little by little my speed and endurance built up. i'm not really a kind of runner that can stop-run-stop-run like the app makes you do.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i tried couch to 5k once. i didn't really like it. so instead i ditched it and just went for a run. little by little my speed and endurance built up. i'm not really a kind of runner that can stop-run-stop-run like the app makes you do.

that's 'cause when you stop, you're used to hopping on a bike or jumping into the water, and not to going back to the same old boring path a minute later!

what's all that stopping and running and stopping about anyways. seems unnecessary.
  • osmentj
    osmentj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Can't stress good shoes enough... if you've got over 300 miles on your current pair, ditch them and get new ones. Worn out shoes can lead to lots of issues which will make you hate the run or simply stop all together.

I never use apps or music... I found it gave me an excuse not to run if I forgot my MP3, didn't charge my phone, etc.

Start SLOW

...and finally, the first two miles of every one of my runs is the worst two miles of my life. Once I get my mind right and I'm all warmed up... it's pure bliss. Stick with it and you'll find your bliss too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    what's all that stopping and running and stopping about anyways. seems unnecessary.

It's just an interval plan, the difference being the intervals are 3-4 mph and 5-6 mph, rather than 6-7mph and 9-10mph.

I tried the whole approach of running for x minutes and then x+y minutes the following week several times. Managed to injure myself each time, generally shin splints. While it did feel a bit ridiculous to walk, particularly in the first couple of weeks where there was more walking than running, it forced a more measured progression on me and I managed to get through the stage where I'd injure myself.

That said, I did other training for about six weeks after I finished C25K, and when I tried a Bridge to 10K plan I didn't like the walk intervals at all.

That said, Galloway plans do seem successful for many, with people doing anything up to marathon using a run/ walk interval. Now, 14 months in, I don't think I could cope with that, but each to their own.
  • SexyCool13
    SexyCool13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ...and finally, the first two miles of every one of my runs is the worst two miles of my life. Once I get my mind right and I'm all warmed up... it's pure bliss. Stick with it and you'll find your bliss too.

^^^This - very true.

It's one of the reasons that my regular runs have become 5 mile runs and not 3 mile runs. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to really get into a good rhythm. On my three mile route, I'm just getting warmed up and loose and in the zone when the run is over. Going up to a regular 5 mile route helps me run longer in my good place.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I see you got a lot of good recommendations for training programs, so I'll offer a different piece of advice: accept the fact that sometimes it will be hard to meet the times/distances you have planned for the day, but NEVER let that discourage you.

With running, you really have to give yourself an A for effort because there are a ton of factors that can affect how your run goes (sickness, bad night sleep, too many happy hour margaritas...), and you can't punish yourself if you run 1 min/mile slower than you planned or had to walk a block that you had planned to run. You're doing this for fun and health, so look for joy in all your efforts and try not to be disappointed if you miss the mark sometimes. Just make sure you get out there when your training plan tells you to (whether it's an app or your own plan) because all of your efforts are building towards health and weightloss.

I only bring this up because I did a bunch of sports in high school, then did nothing for years. When I picked up running again in my late twenties I would get really frustrated because I had no more speed or endurance. I'd emotionally punish myself for my "failures" everyday. It was quite a gut check when I realized that I was the only one who cared if I succeeded - no coaches, no parents, and my job certainly didn't depend on it - so why was I berrating myself? Good question...and that's when I stopped worrying about my times, and now I just focus on finishing my distances because walking is a completely legitimate way to finish a race :).

Good luck! And enjoy the journey - when you catch your stride, running realy feels fantastic!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    OMG sooooo true - the first 15 min are the worst. I've run several marathons now, and the hardest miles of all of them were the first 2-3 LOL