lifting and lowering body fat

Options
Hello MFPers

I have been doing lifting nothing too heavy but just starting and getting form right ( profile pic) so you can see my body what would you suggest I do I feel my body fat is too high so what should I be doing lifting wise and to lower body fat? I eat at a deficit its what MFP calculated and ive only increased calories in last few weeks. Is the only way to lose body fat to eat at calorie deficit? I think this is right but again what to check and can I do this while sculpting?
I am a mum of 3 children youngest 14 months but I just want my body to look and be as healthy as I can get it

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting, download the Stronglifts app on your phone. It's a 5 x 5 program, 5 sets of 5 reps, 3 different exercises each workout. It's super simple, and the exercises engage your whole body. Many people on here have had a great deal of success using this as their main form of exercise (some supplement with a bit of cardio).

Once you're more comfortable in the weight room and are ready to get a little more focused on different body parts, buy the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great program and also generates a lot of success, but it's a bit more complicated and involved than Stronglifts.

Regardless of what program you decide to use, make sure you stay safe. Watch videos, read up on dos and don'ts, and if possible, have a knowledgeable person show you how to do each exercise correctly. You can really hurt yourself if you go in willy nilly with no idea of form.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply that's great, I do have this book already but feel I need to start somewhere a bit simpler so will take a look at that app and go from there.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting, download the Stronglifts app on your phone. It's a 5 x 5 program, 5 sets of 5 reps, 3 different exercises each workout. It's super simple, and the exercises engage your whole body. Many people on here have had a great deal of success using this as their main form of exercise (some supplement with a bit of cardio).

Once you're more comfortable in the weight room and are ready to get a little more focused on different body parts, buy the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great program and also generates a lot of success, but it's a bit more complicated and involved than Stronglifts.

Regardless of what program you decide to use, make sure you stay safe. Watch videos, read up on dos and don'ts, and if possible, have a knowledgeable person show you how to do each exercise correctly. You can really hurt yourself if you go in willy nilly with no idea of form.

This is a wonderful suggestion and information.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yeah, eating at a caloric deficit is the only way to lose that fat. But lifting will help you build the body that'll come out from under it, so good on ya! Plus, muscle does burn more calories than... well... fat.

I'll third the Stronglifts suggestion. I did a different program, but it was similar enough, and in the first month of doing it lost about 10lbs and lost 10" from all around my body. I'm injured now, so I can't lift (boo! I miss my squats and the awesome bubble butt they gave me!) but when I get all better I plan to do Stronglifts.