A success story in the making

Options
13»

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You're incredible. You continue to amaze me by your beauty and you're strength. :flowerforyou:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    AM4403.jpg
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

It wasn't the deadlifting, it was the running. At least, I think that's what it was. I'm not sure if it was just the jarring or if there was something specific. I just know after my last run I could tell something wasn't right. Then the next morning I was picking up a towel that I had dropped and that's when the crunch happened. But the doc said I've got bad genetics and a desk job, which makes the spine more prone to injury. For most people it wouldn't have been an issue. I would hate for anyone's takeaway from this to be that they shouldn't do any specific type of exercise. This was just one of those things. It doesn't mean that running (or lifting) isn't safe. It just means that sometimes things happen even if you're doing everything right.

You seriously think it was the running? I think you may be in denial.

Bulging discs are very rare for runners, but are not so rare for long-time squatters and dead lifters. Vertical compression of the spine is not a good thing over time. We weren't designed for that (unlike running). You can get away with it for a while, but it will catch up with you some day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It wasn't the deadlifting, it was the running. At least, I think that's what it was. I'm not sure if it was just the jarring or if there was something specific. I just know after my last run I could tell something wasn't right. Then the next morning I was picking up a towel that I had dropped and that's when the crunch happened. But the doc said I've got bad genetics and a desk job, which makes the spine more prone to injury. For most people it wouldn't have been an issue. I would hate for anyone's takeaway from this to be that they shouldn't do any specific type of exercise. This was just one of those things. It doesn't mean that running (or lifting) isn't safe. It just means that sometimes things happen even if you're doing everything right.

You seriously think it was the running? I think you may be in denial.

Bulging discs are very rare for runners, but are not so rare for long-time squatters and dead lifters. Vertical compression of the spine is not a good thing over time. We weren't designed for that (unlike running). You can get away with it for a while, but it will catch up with you some day.

Spine doc agrees with my assessment. *shrug*

Either way, my point is the same. It wasn't that exercise was bad. Just that I've got a bad spine. So some exercises might be fine for most people but not for me.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing woman and such an awesome inspiration!!:heart::heart:

9JQhKxe.jpg?1
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely a success story and a great example of how strong the human spirit can be :flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    close-enough-18.gif?w=500&h=230
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    GleeSue-Outstanding.gif
  • jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What an incredible inspiration!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing story and continuing to do what you do :flowerforyou:
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you found a way to work out safely! If you don't mind my asking...what went wrong? Your form looks good to me. Was it the dead lifts that hurt your back? I have just started these and don't want an injury!

I thought I'd ask if it was something specific that you did that I should watch out for. Your form looked good for dead lifting. Thank you.
  • LavernAnderson
    Options
    I like your weight losing story.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you found a way to work out safely! If you don't mind my asking...what went wrong? Your form looks good to me. Was it the dead lifts that hurt your back? I have just started these and don't want an injury!

I thought I'd ask if it was something specific that you did that I should watch out for. Your form looked good for dead lifting. Thank you.

I was trying to avoid saying just because a.) I'm not 100% sure and neither are my docs and b.) I didn't want to start a debate. But I can tell you this: I've had back pain since I was a teenager. I've been sedentary or light active but without exercise for most of my life. I started lifting over a year ago and things improved dramatically. Then in November I started running and just before Christmas I started having more and more pain. That doesn't necessarily mean running was the problem (correlation/causation and all that) but it seems likely to spine doc.

But whether it was related to a specific exercise or not, I still feel that genetics and the preexisting condition are to blame. It's a little like the gluten thing-- just because some people shouldn't eat gluten that doesn't mean that gluten is bad. Just because I can't run/deadlift/squat that doesn't mean it's unsafe.
  • TwirleySlims
    TwirleySlims Posts: 112
    Options
    You are an amazing woman and such an awesome inspiration!!:heart::heart:

9JQhKxe.jpg?1

^^That! :bigsmile:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Where's the damned love button....