Anyone lose weight just by quitting drinking?

Options
I drink way too much and given my extreme depression and recent absences from work (due to drinking..) I've decided enough is enough. I've lost 34 pounds and am stalled. I'm hoping stopping drinking will give me the boost and motivation I need.

Any former heavy drinkers out there who lost weight just by quitting the drink?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit drinking, but am actively trying to drink less.

Alcohol contains a lot of calories in itself. Add to that what we mix it with (since we don't drink 100% alcohol!). From there, add the poor decision making skills we practice under the influence.

So, without drinking, you'll see many great benefits.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Cutting out alcohol will reduce you calorie intake for sure, but if you are still eating at a surplus, you won't lose weight. Make sure you are tracking your foods and staying at a deficit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Anytime you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. So if quitting drinking will put you at a deficit, then it will work.
  • tonileigh820
    tonileigh820 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I drink occasionally now but when I first started here I stopped drinking for a few weeks (I was drinking 3-4 nights a week) and didn't change my diet at all and I was consistently losing. Just the booze alone was an extra 800-1100 calories a day for me so it can definitely make a big difference!