Will dizziness improve with fitness?

Options
Vune
Vune Posts: 672 Member
I have the okay from my doctor to exercise within reason (kidney transplant, hearing loss, parathyroid tumors, migraines), and i went to the gym for the second time ever yesterday. Dizzy on the elliptical, dizzy doing leg machines. I was fine walking on the treadmill.

Has anyone improved this symptom with increased fitness, or is it back to the doctor for me?

34, 141, 5'6", and I eat.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Dizziness is a general symptom of many different, unrelated issues, and nobody here has your unique combination of medical issues. If you're not sure of the cause, and it's not a simple lack of blood sugar from not eating, and it's not a side-effect of your medication, then yes, tell your doctor about it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    with your history i think that a phone call to the doc's office is at least warranted.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dizziness definitely isnt a good thing, i would talk to my doctor if i had those issues when working out.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would call the doctor. Because of your medical history, it's better to be safe. Best of luck to you! :-)
  • Vune
    Options
    Ah, well it was a shot in the dark. I recently had to switch doctors due to insurance, so i have an appointment coming up. Walking it is, until then.

Thank you for your responses. Here's hoping it's something that can be fixed and not my inner ear issues!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Better safe than sorry ! I would check with my doctor . It could be something as simple as being mildly dehydrated or as serious as a health problem you are not aware of.
    Good Luck !
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hope you figure it out and feel better soon. If you have been away from cardio since before your surgery, you might want to pay extra attention to resting heart rate (pulse in the a.m.) and how your heart rate increases during exercise, and start much slower with walking, or just slower treadmill/stepper. You want to warm up sufficiently to keep the blood pumping through the body and especially the brain. If you were down (horizontal) for a long time post surgery your heart is out of shape a little too. If your old doctor cleared you for exercise it means it's pumping fine at rest, so don't worry, just relish turtle mode for a while before you take off like a rabbit.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Ah, well it was a shot in the dark. I recently had to switch doctors due to insurance, so i have an appointment coming up. Walking it is, until then.

Thank you for your responses. Here's hoping it's something that can be fixed and not my inner ear issues!

Do you have a history of inner ear issues causing balance and dizzy spells? How do you feel if you "power walk" (brisk pace, higher HR)?
  • laqu997
    laqu997 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have dizziness issues too, however talk to your doctor. for me it was low blood volume and pressure (believe it or not i needed more salt) ... i can say that i started with a vivofit and moving every hours then adding waking and now i power walk ... i know better than to do stuff that has my hands over my head ... but i talked to my doctor and made sure everything was okay every step of the way.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I always get lightheaded during leg day... :(

I got into the gym knowning that I could possibly pass out.. but that's okay because i gave it my all lol
  • realalize
    realalize Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Vertigo or dizziness can be caused by hearing loss, which you mention, or ear infections. My dad has been experiencing it the last couple years when lying in bed. Found this: http://www.ent.uci.edu/clinical-specialties/ear-surgery/vertigo
    Best bet is to make sure everything is ok with the doc.. Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    Good that you are seeing the doctor. My first suspicion would be low blood sugar. Next time you get it, have a small serving of fruit juice on hand and see if that helps.
  • JustasiaAusterus
    Options
    I would think that dizziness might also just be an effect of trying to do too much too soon. Remember to start slow. Patience is a virtue! But yes, it never hurts to check with the doc.
  • Vune
    Options
    Wow! A lot of great responses. It never once occurred to me that i could be taking it too fast, but the effects of exertion have always varied with me. But i have someone cheerleading me toward fitness now. I'll have impress upon him how much I'd feel better waiting to talk to a doctor before pushing myself when i get dizzy.

I've actually had the transplant for almost 14 years now. The meds are awful, but still better than dialysis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    with your history i think that a phone call to the doc's office is at least warranted.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'd look for safe activities. I suffer from vertigo and outdoor activities
    can be scarey when I start getting dizzy. For me it happens anytime.
    Hope yours dissipates. Great news your doc gave you clearance to
    return to your fitness. :)
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Have you worked with a physical therapist? They could help you find exercises that would work with your issues. Good luck!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'd talk it through with your dr too. Sorry there isn't a simpler fix! I am prone to dizziness because my blood sugar and blood pressure both tend to run low. For me, it's sometimes a matter of needing a protein/carb snack, sometimes some G2 or something salty (broth, etc.) to help raise my BP. I also have to be careful of activities that involve a lot of position changes (like today when I tried to do stomach crunches on a bench where my head was a little lower than my trunk; got seriously dizzy after 20 of those, I assume due to postural hypotension). It's good that you didn't experience the dizziness while walking on the treadmill so that will give you a place to start while trying to figure out the rest.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I started exercise for the first time I would feel dizzy, sick need to stop the dvd and lie down for few minutes until it passed. For me I think it was asking my body to do things it wasn't used to doing at too fast a pace and it just said no. It did pass after about 4 or 5 days of the same routine.

However, with your medical history its definitely worth running past your GP.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have the okay from my doctor to exercise within reason (kidney transplant, hearing loss, parathyroid tumors, migraines), and i went to the gym for the second time ever yesterday. Dizzy on the elliptical, dizzy doing leg machines. I was fine walking on the treadmill.

Has anyone improved this symptom with increased fitness, or is it back to the doctor for me?

34, 141, 5'6", and I eat.

Back to the doctor! Given your specialized circumstances, you definitely want to be very careful with your workouts as to not aggravate any of those conditions. Dizziness may be a sign that your body is being pushed too hard, or cannot handle it at the time. I personally have a heart condition, and my dizziness sets in when I've pushed myself past what my body can handle, and I take that as a sign to immediately stop, hydrate, rest, and evaluate whether or not it's save to continue after my arrhythmia subsides.

I'd also have your doctor clarify what "within reason" means, if he hasn't specified exercises that are okay to pursue. Ellipticals can be high intensity for some people, and perhaps walking may be a good transition exercise for you. But I'd ask!