MFP Activity Levels & Exercise

Options
I go hiking about 5 days a week for 50 mins a day (approx 2.5 mi). It's not super challenging - only about 600 ft of elevation gain, total, but it's peaceful and something I know I can keep up for a long time. I've been using the iPhone 5s to count my steps each day and let MFP grant me calories based on it. After reading some posts, I've determined I should be setting my activity level to something other than sedentary. My question is, if I do this, should I be removing my daily exercise since it's already captures by my activity levels?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In other words, should you increase your caloric intake every day without increasing the amount of exercising you are doing?

Are you losing weight faster than you want right now?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I go hiking about 5 days a week for 50 mins a day (approx 2.5 mi). It's not super challenging - only about 600 ft of elevation gain, total, but it's peaceful and something I know I can keep up for a long time. I've been using the iPhone 5s to count my steps each day and let MFP grant me calories based on it. After reading some posts, I've determined I should be setting my activity level to something other than sedentary. My question is, if I do this, should I be removing my daily exercise since it's already captures by my activity levels?

Yes

If based on your hiking you would like to be called as lightly active and not sedentary, you shouldn't count the steps as exercise that goes towards your daily caloric intake, as that would be counting the activity twice.
  • Thermogenic
    Thermogenic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In other words, should you increase your caloric intake every day without increasing the amount of exercising you are doing?

Are you losing weight faster than you want right now?

Nah, just concerned about sabotaging things by not understanding how the app works.

Thanks JaneiR - I'll just go back to sedentary and letting MFP track the steps.