People Telling you not to lose any more weight?

Options
Sobus76
Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
I've had a few people tell me lately that i dont need to lose any more weight, one is a family member and the others are coworkers. It's annoying especially since i have -/+ 50lbs to lose still, yes i've lost a good chunk but im not stopping now. these people look all shocked when i tell them how much i still have to lose, they say things like "you'll be too skinny" anyone else get this? probably the most irritating thing people say to me about weight loss.

Replies

• AmandaNicole412
    AmandaNicole412 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I just got told the same thing... do what's best for you and if your doctor is involved in your track to health and wellness. If they think you're ok then don't worry about what others say. I obviously don't know what you looked like before but to those who know us it is probably a shock for them to see a thinner side. They'll be supportive eventually
  • ThinkInOregon
    ThinkInOregon Posts: 283
    Options
    My reply is usually "you wouldn't say that if you knew what I weighed." Although, pretty soon I thing I am gonna have to just start telling them I am done while I lose this last 10 pounds. It is just not worth fussing with some people...
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It is hard, friends/family are used to seeing you a certain way. You know what you need to do or where you need to be, just keep at it and hopefully they will embrace the new, healthy you!
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I get it daily, I try not to take offence I know they see my change I just don't always see it...even after 120 pound loss
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people tell me lately that i dont need to lose any more weight, one is a family member and the others are coworkers. It's annoying especially since i have -/+ 50lbs to lose still, yes i've lost a good chunk but im not stopping now. these people look all shocked when i tell them how much i still have to lose, they say things like "you'll be too skinny" anyone else get this? probably the most irritating thing people say to me about weight loss.

It's not about anyone else's opinion but yours. This is about YOU. If you feel like you still have 50 lbs to lose, then lose the 50 lbs.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. I think some people are just truing to be nice and say it as a compliment. But then there are the others that are jealous. I have a family member who tries to lose weight, but never puts in the work to do so. She'll often try to derail me by saying stuff like,"you shouldn't lose weight anymore. You look fine" then she'll just so happen to have a box of donuts and cupcakes with her!! Lol!! Misery loves company! Lol
  • Sobus76
    Options
    I think some of it has to do with people not knowing how much i weight because i carry my weight well. most people guess my weight about 50 pounds lighter then i am.
    Its just strange to me that people at a healthy weight and that are smaller then me telling me i'll be too skinny. Personally i dont care what they think, i know what i need to lose. it's just annoying to hear people without weight issues tell me that.
  • Sobus76
    Options
    I get that a lot. I think some people are just truing to be nice and say it as a compliment. But then there are the others that are jealous. I have a family member who tries to lose weight, but never puts in the work to do so. She'll often try to derail me by saying stuff like,"you shouldn't lose weight anymore. You look fine" then she'll just so happen to have a box of donuts and cupcakes with her!! Lol!! Misery loves company! Lol

I think at least one person who made that comment to me falls into that category.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just my grandma usually with pie in hand.
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    I get this too! I've never been obese or even really overweight at all, but I was never really happy with my body. Right now I'm at a healthy weight for my body (5'10" and 155 pounds), but I'm still not where I would like to be. All I want to do is be comfortable in my own skin, at a healthy weight (my goal is around 135 pounds, a good weight for my height and age), but people still don't support that. I'm on your side, all of you :)
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OMG! :laugh: It is as if I wrote this post word for word. I too am going through the same thing. I am just feeling that the comments are unwanted. Thanks for telling me I look good, but I know what my goal fitness level is and I am not there yet...
  • kerrianne86
    kerrianne86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am always getting dirty looks from people at work when I tell them I am trying to lose weight. I just tell them that the yucky bits are hidden under my clothes!! I normally get a bit of a laugh out of them :tongue:
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, all the time. People at work, my wife jokingly (till she catches up she says), family. I just tell them it's my body, I have my own plans for my body, and I'm not stopping till I hit my goals. I got quite a ways to go... I realize people are used to seeing a 280+lb me... they'll get use to seeing a 170lb me, once I get there, too. No worries.
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One way to minimize comments of these types is to avoid making the size/shape of your body a topic of conversation at any weight (yes, even with--or maybe especially with--family members). This is hard because especially in the beginning of a weight loss it feels great to hear compliments. But then people feel free to to weigh in (heh) on your appearance and eating habits. There are different ways you can communicate verbally or nonverbally to discourage comments on your body.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    same here ppl always say that to me even when i was nearing 200 lbs
  • Sobus76
    Options
    I am always getting dirty looks from people at work when I tell them I am trying to lose weight. I just tell them that the yucky bits are hidden under my clothes!! I normally get a bit of a laugh out of them :tongue:

When I get asked what did i do with Rick, i say i ate him, or he's been replaced by a leaner model.. something along those lines :P
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yup I've gotten the same comments. They started about 30+ lbs ago. Although a few of those people have changed their tune and are now asking me for weight loss advice. Lol
  • Sobus76
    Options
    Yup I've gotten the same comments. They started about 30+ lbs ago. Although a few of those people have changed their tune and are now asking me for weight loss advice. Lol

The funny thing is when they ask for advice or how im doing it, a lot of times when i say im counting calories, they say "oh thats too hard" I just think WTF did you think i did that was so easy to do that everyone does it?
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I realize that sometimes people will try to discourage you from doing something because they can't do it themselves.

You know your body and what you have done through. Do what you need to do for yourself and forget what people say. The same people who tell you not to lose weight will be the same ones who say that you gained weight if you ever do.

Keep doing what your doing.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    One way to minimize comments of these types is to avoid making the size/shape of your body a topic of conversation at any weight (yes, even with--or maybe especially with--family members). This is hard because especially in the beginning of a weight loss it feels great to hear compliments. But then people feel free to to weigh in (heh) on your appearance and eating habits. There are different ways you can communicate verbally or nonverbally to discourage comments on your body.
    This. Sometimes other people bring it up, I just never comment on my weight or others unless I say something like you look great! Why say anything other than a positive? ( I can see some people saying that as an encouragement since you hold your weight well)