Long distance running, not seeing any weight loss

Options
So I'm about 200lbs at the moment and Ideally I want to be about 180 -190lbs. I started running 10k and now even further once a week with a few shorter runs in between so about 3 runs a week. I am seeing fitness improvements and I do seem to be gaining muscle, but the scale is not budging(I know that isn't important) and more importantly this belly of mine is still sitting all smug atop my abdomen! I do eat pretty badly at the moment and I don't log on here, but I run out of energy all the time if I don't eat regularly and I certainly wouldn't be able to maintain this level of endurance exercise without it. The amounts mfp suggests for me to eat are just not maintainable, I feel sluggish and tired and cold by late afternoon if I stick to that restriction.

This last bit of weight is becoming a frustrating nuisance now and I'd really appreciate your guys feedback on whether I'm training enough or should I cut down my food or eat more of some particular foods? Thanks.

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    So I'm about 200lbs at the moment and Ideally I want to be about 180 -190lbs. I started running 10k and now even further once a week with a few shorter runs in between so about 3 runs a week. I am seeing fitness improvements and I do seem to be gaining muscle, but the scale is not budging(I know that isn't important) and more importantly this belly of mine is still sitting all smug atop my abdomen! I do eat pretty badly at the moment and I don't log on here, but I run out of energy all the time if I don't eat regularly and I certainly wouldn't be able to maintain this level of endurance exercise without it. The amounts mfp suggests for me to eat are just not maintainable, I feel sluggish and tired and cold by late afternoon if I stick to that restriction.

This last bit of weight is becoming a frustrating nuisance now and I'd really appreciate your guys feedback on whether I'm training enough or should I cut down my food or eat more of some particular foods? Thanks.

Read. Reread. Read. And reread again this: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Not logging and most likely not eating enough. +1 rec that you read that link above
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

How much are you eating, and what did MFP suggest for you?
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has everything to do with how much food you cram into your pie hole and nothing to do with how many miles your run. Run for your health and your mind. Maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight :smile:
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have bookmarked that link and I will try to log my cals from now on, I feel like a total idiot for posting on here now :/
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    you can't out run a bad diet. that's your problem.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has everything to do with how much food you cram into your pie hole and nothing to do with how many miles your run. Run for your health and your mind. Maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight :smile:

This right here ^^^
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have bookmarked that link and I will try to log my cals from now on, I feel like a total idiot for posting on here now :/

That's the purpose of forums and asking questions bud, don't feel like an idiot!!
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    I think enough has been said on the eating bit - remains king in terms of weight loss.

As for your running .... just make sure you mix in interval training and hill repeats to give yourself that extra boost!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to save that link...

when considering following the restrictions MFP gives, I hope you've realized that you get to eat the exercise cals back? Maybe that will help you with feeling sluggish?

Also, when yous start eating more veggies/home made (with a healthy eye) foods, you'll realize you get to eat more than if you're going out to eat all the time. That made a huge difference for me. I still eat out (more often than I should), but I feel much better thanks to the better foods I'm also eating.
  • scot34
    scot34 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok i will touch a bit on you saying you cant eat within your calorie limit as you feel hungry and sluggish. As you well know you will need the deficit to lose weight no way around it, but here is the trick you need to deal with your hunger pains while still within your calorie limit.
    Eat lots of protien low on calorievand very filling. Drink heavy soups like linten, eat a big breakfast with beans and tuna onions tomatos whole grain bread, its satusfying and low on calories. Learn to use spices, mustard to not make your food blant. Eat two grilled fish for lunch couple hundred calories and you wont be able to finish them. Chicken breasts lean meat.
    What im trying to say you can indeed stay within your caloric deficit without feeling hungry or sluggish.
  • dawnnicole85
    dawnnicole85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Read. Reread. Read. And reread again this: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

This blog entry is spot on! Scientifically it does boil down to calories in vs calories out. But so many people do not want to believe that..
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You've made my day. A poster who asks a question. Listens to the sensible answers and acts. Fantastic!!! Good luck on your loss and your running. Eating correctly and you'll find your running will improve
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

You have no reason to feel like an "idiot". In fact, you asked great questions pointing to the opposite - that you were smart enough to seek advice/help to figure things out with regard to what you are experiencing.

Make sure you follow up with your progress for all of us.

All the best.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

You have no reason to feel like an "idiot". In fact, you asked great questions pointing to the opposite - that you were smart enough to seek advice/help to figure things out with regard to what you are experiencing.

Make sure you follow up with your progress for all of us.

All the best.

Agreed!
    And ditto the pp's advice on staying within calorie goals while getting full. I try to follow the 80%/20% rule of thumb with 80% of my food being nutritionally dense foods (veggies, eggs, chicken, fish, etc.) and the other 20% being whatever I want. If that gets too far out of balance I definitely struggle more with feeling hungry and sluggish.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You've made my day. A poster who asks a question. Listens to the sensible answers and acts. Fantastic!!! Good luck on your loss and your running. Eating correctly and you'll find your running will improve

No, you've made my day actually. Some of you have re-assured me that my question wasn't stupid or that the answer wasn't obvious. I really enjoy running and I want to get the best out of it! I will let everyone know how things progress, I don't expect it to be plain sailing (this sort of stuff never is), but I will persevere all the same!

Thanks to all who've replied so far with suggestions to help me out, I appreciate it..
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Nah, don't feel like an idiot. It's a very common misconception that all you have to do is exercise and the weight will fall off.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

No, you've made my day actually. Some of you have re-assured me that my question wasn't stupid or that the answer wasn't obvious. I really enjoy running and I want to get the best out of it! I will let everyone know how things progress, I don't expect it to be plain sailing (this sort of stuff never is), but I will persevere all the same!

Thanks to all who've replied so far with suggestions to help me out, I appreciate it..

You've fallen into the same trap that many runners are guilty of (myself included), we start running thinking it's a ticket to eat whatever we want.

I wish......but as you observed you've gained fitness and, in my books, that's step #1 and in many respects as or more important than the number on the scale.

Log your food, aim for a modest deficit and keep running!
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options

That's the purpose of forums and asking questions bud, don't feel like an idiot!!

Exactly! Running is great for you if you enjoy it, but can sometimes lead to a "well i just ran 6 miles so of course I can eat _____!". I'd suggest logging your food for a few days without any changes to what you normally eat, to get an idea of what/how much you're consuming now. You may learn that you're overeating, under-eating, eating an ok amount but of food lacking in any nutritional value.

You said you weren't eating that great, I find that when I start slipping away from healthier foods on a regular basis I feel sluggish and tired - depending on your settings on MFP, also don't forget to eat back at least some if not all of your exercise calories. If you're running 3 times a week with a long run in there, you need to replenish your body (with good nutritional food!) or you could be setting yourself at too low of a deficit.

EX: I'm I'm running 3-4 miles, I'm typically burning around 400 calories (I use a heart rate monitor.) My diary is set to 1510 calories a day. On a running day, I'm now netting 1100 calories if I don't eat back my exercise - which is too low. Everyone is different - take some time to read the forums and find what exercise and eating plan works best for you and good luck!
  • jessiecaseyclark
    jessiecaseyclark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found my self my heaviest during marathon training and I somewhat agree with the diet advice but I wanted to add one other thing...
    When we spend all our available time running, we're spending less time lifting weights and building muscles. The longer runs burn more calories yet wreck havoc on metabolism because it tells the body to EAT and CONSERVE. Try switching back to more interval running, HIIT, running hills, and weight lifting. You'll see more changes in your body and start ignoring the scale. A soft body at 180 looks worse that a fit strong body at 200. Good luck!