How loose is too loose?

Options
deliacm
deliacm Posts: 66 Member
How long do you all go before buying new clothes? How loose is acceptable? My thought is that I wait until I can go down two sizes in jeans before I even think about newer ones, but what do you all do?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I thought the same... but then I got so excited that I'd dropped to a size 14 from a tight 18 (should have been a 20) that I went to Goodwill and bought a pair of 14s lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think it's too loose when it starts to look bad. I think it is important for your self image and sense of satisfaction in what you're doing to be able to acknowledge it through your appearance, so If you keep wearing all your old clothes even though they're too big, you cheat yourself out of an opportunity to celebrate being smaller. I wouldn't buy a whole new wardrobe each size, but it's amazing what a select few new pieces can do for your self image :)
  • rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When your clothes are already eating you up. That's the time i think i will be purchasing new clothes.
  • sugarchic9985
    Options
    I would try to do a few new things when clothes clearly became big. I think it looks unprofessional and sloppy to wear too large clothes to work so I always had to have a few things that fit for that. I'd also make sure to have one pair of jeans that fit well. Everything else I would pretty much wear until it felt like it was going to fall off!
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am keeping one outfit as a reminder, and have bought me a pair of jeans and a top in my goal size to work towards. Other than that, I agree that if clothes start to make you look ridiculous then get rid of them and replace them with something cheap until you have reached your target/maintenance level then celebrate with new clothes...:)
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It has not been cheap but every time I go down a size I shop for the next size down and hang it in my room. i am very frugal and there is no way I am not getting down to that size once I buy it. LOL

As far as the pile of jeans I have, some of which were only worn for 4 or 5 weeks and are $75 a pair....I figure someone will be blessed when they find them at the thrift store when I donate them. For me it is a win win. :-)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I bought from goodwill, and returned often.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When people start calling you M.C. Hammer
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I had to borrow my husband's belt to keep my size 16 shorts on, and they kept getting looser and looked just baggy, I tried on my size 14 shorts that I had bought for motivation. NSV today, they fit! Size 14 is something I haven't seen for about nine years.

I'd say when they're baggy enough you need a belt, or they make you feel like you look bigger than you are (one thing I've finally learned while losing the weight is that baggy clothes actually made me look larger, and here I thought they were hiding me), try going down a size.
  • Delaware_Jen
    Delaware_Jen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When your outspoken coworker pulls you aside and tells you to go shopping! That happened to me once at a time when dresses with a tie back were popular, so I just kept tying them tighter. After 40 pounds that doesn't really work.
  • ravengal
    ravengal Posts: 39
    Options
    I head to the thrift stores every week to try on clothing. Well-fitting clothes showcase weight-loss! Most of what I buy costs less than $5 per item.

Even when I don't find much worth buying, it is extremely motivating to "measure" my body progress by the way clothes fit. I also love guesstimating how much more weight I need to lose to get into the next size down.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    When people start calling you M.C. Hammer

Or when you look in the mirror and think "MC Hammer". LOL!
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I stop wearing things when I no longer like the way I look in them. It's not really about a particular size. Right now I have bottoms in 12, 10 and 8; tops in med, large and extra large. So it really depends on the clothing item not the size.
  • JillPEvans
    JillPEvans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been hitting up all the thrift stores in my area...that way I get clothes that fit right but don't have to pay big $$ for 'em. When I hit goal I plan to go spend some money on some really nice clothes until then I don't want to waste to much on clothes that I don't plan to wear for too long!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I wait as long as I can without looking terrible in them, once they get too baggy, they get "shelved". When I really need something new, I get it. Thankfully I have work clothes in many sizes, so I don't need them quite yet. Although I am wishing now that I kept some of the smalls (I kept them for years and finally gave them to purple heart a couple of years ago, thinking mediums would be good enough, but now I know they won't). I am already fitting in some smalls, but new clothes are nice too.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's a reward for all my hard work to buy new clothes in the smaller size. I have scoured the sales racks and thrift stores but as soon as its baggy it is gone to the thrift shop hoping to never see that size again!
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Anything that doesn't hang to my body right, goes. To
    me it's a mental thing. Maybe I'm weird. lol
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh!.....this is about clothes......
  • JLEE911
    JLEE911 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love the Good Will :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I waited until I lost 6" on my waist before buying new clothes today. My old clothes were beginning to look unprofessional even with a belt, and there were great sales today.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!