Wait.. what? Highest weight in years?

Options
I usually don't weigh myself but rather go by the looks and feels of things. But I just stepped on a scale
and DANG, I've never actually weighed that much.

I'm a tad bit confused. I work out six days a week. I eat REALLY healthy.

The only thing I've changed is that I've started adding strength-training to my routine about 4 days a week around
ten weeks ago. I do feel stronger, and the clothes fit the same, but I weight about TEN pounds more than I did
a year ago when I bought those clothes.

What is happening?

Edit: this can't all be muscle mass, right? Help!

Replies

• mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it could be water retention. if you look and feel fine i don't think you should worry about your weight. i was recently going through this phase where i checked my weight like crazy, i've stopped now and i feel so much better about myself. why dont you get a fat test done so you know the exact % of fat in your body and your muscle mass? also try weighing yourself on a diff day, at a different time
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's just super weird... I must have burned like 2000 calories in the last two days alone, and
    nothing's changed. I feel like something is really off.
    And I weighed myself first thing in the morning just now.

:/
  • mehrunisan
    mehrunisan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    exactly when was the last time you weighed yourself before this?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Your logging is inconsistent. Some days food aren't logged others are only partially logged. If you want to know what is going on you need accurate information. So I suggest logging your food accurately then weighing yourself over a period of a few weeks. Also this new weight even though it's higher than last time is it an unhealthy weight? Looking at your profile picture I would guess your still within a healthy weight range. So is it actually a problem?
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Your logging is inconsistent. Some days food aren't logged others are only partially logged. If you want to know what is going on you need accurate information. So I suggest logging your food accurately then weighing yourself over a period of a few weeks. Also this new weight even though it's higher than last time is it an unhealthy weight? Looking at your profile picture I would guess your still within a healthy weight range. So is it actually a problem?

This. Fatdoob speaks wisdom.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I usually don't weigh myself but rather go by the looks and feels of things. But I just stepped on a scale
    and DANG, I've never actually weighed that much.

I'm a tad bit confused. I work out six days a week. I eat REALLY healthy.

The only thing I've changed is that I've started adding strength-training to my routine about 4 days a week around
    ten weeks ago. I do feel stronger, and the clothes fit the same, but I weight about TEN pounds more than I did
    a year ago when I bought those clothes.

What is happening?

Edit: this can't all be muscle mass, right? Help!

it can be a combination of gaining muscle mass, increased bone density and water retention in the muscles due to them storing more glycogen. All of these things are very positive, healthy changes.

the fact you fit in the same clothes means it's not fat.

Unfortunately everyone is so focused on scale weight that most people don't realise that healthy muscles and bones and a healthy body generally (except for body fat) is healthier when heavier. If you remove fat from the equation, then heavier = healthier. It's only body fat that's the other way around, as in if you have too much of it it makes you heavier, and losing fat makes you lighter and healthier. Fact is you haven't gained fat, but your health has improved. In the time frame, it's not all going to be muscle mass, women can't put on that much muscle mass in that amount of time. However, it's very possible that your bone density was low before, and the strength training has improved your bone density enough to add a few lbs. This is really good news as it protects you from osteoporosis later in life. However, most of the lbs probably come from your muscles storing more glycogen. Glycogen is stored with water, so your muscles are retaining water, but this is a good thing.

So all in all, excellent progress, keep it up, and remember that scale weight doesn't mean a lot.... one piece of advice I heard which is very good, is that the goal is to be as heavy as you can be for an ideal dress size (this must be an ideal dress size that takes your frame size into account, not everyone has the bone structure to be size zero, but everyone looks great lean, so whatever size you look fit and lean at basically).
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    @agrafina,fatdoob; I haven't been logging regularly because I just started doing that a couple of days ago. But I know what I'm eating and have been eating in combination with all the working out I'm doing, should AT LEAST help me maintain my weight, but certainly not make me gain any. I'm worried this has something to do with a possible hormone imbalance that I might have (PCOS, possible hypothyroidism)

and yes, health-wise, my weight is fine. I'm not worried about that. It's about that personal sense of well-being, which I'm lacking right now, especially since I'm so worried that my hormones are off too. Plus, I just want to be strong and lean!

@neandermagnon;
    that does encourage me a little. it's exactly the reason why I barely ever weigh myself. It messes with my self-esteem. thanks for your encouraging words!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Could be more muscle mass... That's why you see that some lean person might weigh more than someone with some flab. Never depend solely on weight for your health and your self esteem...!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The older you get, the harder it is to maintain the same weight. Sad but true.....
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's just super weird... I must have burned like 2000 calories in the last two days alone, and
    nothing's changed. I feel like something is really off.
    And I weighed myself first thing in the morning just now.

:/

That could be part of the difference. Intense workouts can cause water retention, adding to the number on your scale for a day or so.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    The older you get, the harder it is to maintain the same weight. Sad but true.....

BUT I'M ONLY 21....

Okay, let's just go with 'it's all muscle mass'.
    that's my favorite excuse anyways.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Take measurements. The scale isn't going to give you that answer. If you are putting on muscle, measurements don't lie.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    I'll measure myself when Americans decide not to use inches and feet anymore.

I only have an American measuring tape and I'm sick of having to convert my measurements to centimeters.

:grumble:

:bigsmile:
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    I'll measure myself when Americans decide not to use inches and feet anymore.

I only have an American measuring tape and I'm sick of having to convert my measurements to centimeters.

:grumble:

:bigsmile:

My tape has both.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    Fancy. Can I borrow it ?
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    Send me a SASE and I'll give you one. I have several.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle mass that you gained. I was working out regularly and in good shape. I got pneumonia and was bedridden for a month. I lost 7 pounds. My measurements stayed the same, but I was flabby. I had lost muscle mass. So maybe you gained muscle mass.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    With the biological difficulty of a woman actually adding appreciable muscle mass without actually trying the more likely culprit is water weight from the change in exercise patterns.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love my scale that also calculates body fat percent, total body water and bone. I'm sure it's not perfect but it seems pretty consistent and gives me some idea of what's happening.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Your profile picture looks really healthy and slim. It think that you're worried over nothing.