First Zumba class today! Eeeek!

Options
Today im going to my first Zumba class! Im veryy nervous, but also excited. I was just wondering, what do i log the exercise in as? Aerobics?

Ill let you guys know how it went! :)
I havent heard ONE bad thing about this, so i cant wait to try it.
Everyone says its a blast! And i guess you burn a lot of calories!
Eeeeeek! Im excited!

Replies

• Kristy1214
    Options
    I LOVE MY CLASS! I log it in under dance i think, something that says areobices dance twist is that closest thing i have found. I want to get a heart rate monitor so that I can put it in correctly! :) have FUN!
  • MedinaLJ1981
    MedinaLJ1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will have lots of fun. I take Zumba Wed Thurs and Fri if I get a chance you will enjoy it. I adore it. Good Luck!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Zumba! You will have so much fun! When I looked up the calories, most places say that you can burn between 600-800 in an hour depending on the intensity so I just added a category for it and put 600. Have fun and let us know how it goes!
  • kazmor
    kazmor Posts: 18
    Options
    I've actually noticed that there is now an option for Zumba. I think it must be a recent addition to the database as I only found it about 3 weeks ago. It states average workout for an hour to burn about 500 cals.

Enjoy your first class,I'm sure you'll enjoy it,I find it so much fun!!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You'll love it! I wear a HRM, but the closest MFP will get to my HRM is under 'ballroom dancing - fast', which makes sense because of some of the styles they incorporate. A close second was 'dancing - aerobic'. I typically burn 12-15 calories per minute while I'm there.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I added Zumba to my exercise database (50 minute class = approx. 500 calories for me). I use a heart rate monitor, so it's an accurate count and adjust my calories if needed.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I go 3x/week now. I also added Zumba to my categories. I burn almost exactly 500 calories in my one hour class. I use a heart rate monitor so I know exactly what I burned. Last night I only burned 450 because I have a hurt ankle and took it easy. you will LOVE it if you have the right instructor. We had a substitute instructor last Thursday and she was HORRID! I would never pay to take her class. I love my regular instructor and look forward to Zumba!
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    My employer offers health/fitness classes and we had zumba and i loved it with a particular instructor but then she quit due to other obligations within their company and they brought in another instructor and i did not like it at all with her. hopefully you have a fun instructor, that helps!
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when I go to Zumba and I burn 550-750 Calories a class. So i'd say a happy medium would be around 600calories. The HRM really is the better way to go for better accuracy, MFP sometimes under/over estimates. I got mine on Ebay for like $40.
  • sallie46
    sallie46 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Zumbaholic reporting in! I'm in my 32 consecutive week and happily addicted. I think the calorie burn is going to depend on your current weight and exertion. Since I'm completely drenched at the end of the 60-minutes, I give it the equivalent of one hour of singles tennis (which I also do). For those who are looking for a non-competitive, fun, positive workout that's not a boring elliptical or running (gasp!) give it a try. The instructor IS everything though! If you need to find a class in your area, go to zumba.com and click on the 'find a class tab'.

I'm happy to report that in my third week journaling (mostly) on this site I've lost 3 pounds -- and that does include all my sins on the weekends too.

GOOD LUCK everyone!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Tonights my first class too!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    How did you like the class?