Question on mfp stregnth training

vcatmb44
vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So I was wondering how are you suppose to fugure out how many calories you are burning from stregnth training? On mfp when u put it what youve done it doesnt calculate any calories you burn?? So yesterday i went to the gym for an hour just stregnth training and I am sore as hell today but it is saying i went over my calories bc its not calculating what i burned while stregnth training. Does any one have any answers as to how to figure this out?

Replies

• msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    You can get a device that tells you how many calories you are burning. I bought a watch from sports authority for 60.00 and it tells me my calories and my heart rate.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Under cardio on the exercise page you can enter strength training and it will calculate your calories burned. :flowerforyou:
  • MFP doesn't auto-calculate calories burned from ST because it varies so much based on intensity, muscle mass, heart rate, and other factors. Your best bet is to follow msartishia's advice and buy a Heart Rate Monitor. This will also give you more accurate calories burned during cardio.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    A heart rate monitor with the chest strap is one of the most accurate ways to go as far as burning calories. Or try something like the bodybugg which will tell you how many calories you burn all day & I hear that they're quite accurate! :-)

-Chancy
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    That unfortunate feature has actually discouraged me from doing more strength training, actually..... kinda sucks! I use my Wii Fit for some yoga/strength training activities, and it generally calculates between 4 and 10 calories for each pose or set. If you were doing strength training for an hour, I bet you burned at least 300 calories if not many more. Good luck with this!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    That unfortunate feature has actually discouraged me from doing more strength training, actually..... kinda sucks! I use my Wii Fit for some yoga/strength training activities, and it generally calculates between 4 and 10 calories for each pose or set. If you were doing strength training for an hour, I bet you burned at least 300 calories if not many more. Good luck with this!

As well as the after-burn effect you get from weight training which usually lasts for 24-48 hours! You definitely burn calories while weight training!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    Under cardio on the exercise page you can enter strength training and it will calculate your calories burned. :flowerforyou:

That is what I do, but it gives you very little credit calorie wise just about equal to moderate pace walking... but it is better then nothing I guess.
This discussion has been closed.