Not the healthiest question, but......

Options
Well, I posted a question about alcohol over a week ago (wanted to know if alcohol calories are the same as regular food calories), after several people replied, was MORTIFIED by what alcohol actually does to your fat burning ability! So, I have not had ANY red wine for almost 2 weeks (pretty big deal for me because my husband and I REALLY enjoy a couple of glasses each night!). However, I have a boat trip coming up this weekend with 3 other couples (we do it every year). I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not drinking :tongue: So, my question is, does anyone have ideas (or recipes) on what would be a lower calorie drink to stick to (a fun drink that will need to last all day :drinker: )

Replies

• bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    Well, I posted a question about alcohol over a week ago (wanted to know if alcohol calories are the same as regular food calories), after several people replied, was MORTIFIED by what alcohol actually does to your fat burning ability! So, I have not had ANY red wine for almost 2 weeks (pretty big deal for me because my husband and I REALLY enjoy a couple of glasses each night!). However, I have a boat trip coming up this weekend with 3 other couples (we do it every year). I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not drinking :tongue: So, my question is, does anyone have ideas (or recipes) on what would be a lower calorie drink to stick to (a fun drink that will need to last all day :drinker: )
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options

But there's a lot of evidence that a glass of red wine every day has really amazing benefits for your body. It's just that you're only supposed to have *one*. :tongue:

Alcohol is a tough thing for me, too. I've cut back a LOT since getting on this site, though. I think what I dislike about it the most is how dehydrating it is. I'll drink some beers on Friday night then try to go run on Saturday and there's no denying that I'll feel subpar, even if I'm not technically "hungover." Add to that the fat-burning info you mentioned and.... well, :frown:. Gotta keep the :drinker: to a minimum!
  • bodibykelli
    Options
    :laugh: Yeah, that ONE GLASS concept was our personal joke......I was having 1 glass.....but it was the size of a flower vace :laugh:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Yeah, that ONE GLASS concept was our personal joke......I was having 1 glass.....but it was the size of a flower vace :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

like this?
    http://www.ocma.net/img/new_prod_giantwineglass.jpg
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    When I indulge I usually follow every mixed drink or beer with a big glass of water. That cuts down on the number of drinks I drink, and it seems to make me feel less crummy the next day.:drinker:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Here's a report from WebMD on Low-Cal cocktails...And some tips too about how to limit drinking...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails

It looks like a Mike's Hard Lemonade only had 98 calories a bottle. I LOVE those. Very fizzy and fruity...And they get me real drunk real quick. :laugh: :laugh:
  • bodibykelli
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

like this?
    http://www.ocma.net/img/new_prod_giantwineglass.jpg

That'd be the one!!!! :laugh:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    As for lower calorie drinks the best are wine, light beer like Michelob Ultra and Bacardi with diet coke or diet 7Up. Or you could have a shot of hard liquor and that's it. All the other drinks with mixers, etc are higher in calories. Since you like wine just have a glass or two of wine, that is not going to hurt you.
    On a sadder note, did you see the two doctors, Dr Oz and his colleague, on Good Morning America talking about alcohol and your liver???? That was scary. They said women should only have one drink a day, such as a glass of wine. But it is not ok to not drink during the week and then have 3-7 drinks on the weekend!!! If done regularly that will damage the liver!!!!!! Yikes!!!!

Enjoy the weekend!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i mix a liquor like malibu with a diet soda for a low calorie long drink.

examples are:

malibu/vodka/rum and diet coke
    Passoa (tropical fruit liquor) with diet sprite etc.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The thing with alcohol is its a depressant - it depresses the nervous system, which means your whole body runs slower. That includes your metabolism. However the amount contained in a single glass is so teeny that I don't think it would make a difference.

Besides, its all but proven that a small amount (single serving) of ANY alcohol daily, be it red wine, beer, or hard alcohol, has health benefits - especially for the liver and kidneys. Red wine simply happens to have more, though they're finding that beer has many more than originally expected also.
  • Tammikins
    Tammikins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    vodka and soda water with a lime is my drink of choice when i go out! :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My kind of topic!! :drinker:

Wino here too, but when I'm trying to be good overindulging in alcohol, (twisted logic, but works for me :glasses: ) I'll have a gin & tonic or (my new fave) vanilla vodka mixed with diet ginger ale. :love: :love:

Tastes like cream soda. :smooched:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    All great ideas -

:drinker:

Also, go heavy on the soda water or whatever mixer you are going to use. I like captain morgan and diet coke - again tastes like a cream soda. But I go very heavy on the diet coke, add a lime and nobody is any the wiser!!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Who would give up wine!? I drink a "flower vase" of red wine each evening with dinner and I have more on the weekends when the mood is right. I count the calories in my daily intake and I watch the effects on my over time and if it seems that it's going negatively I will back off -- but that hasn't happened yet. The benefits of wine in the diet I think out weigh the negative effects of alcohol in general.

Just my opinion but I would recommend keeping up a normal lifestyle (in moderation) in all respects so that you are changing your whole self in a regulated manner without giving up the things you enjoy in life.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Who would give up wine!? I drink a "flower vase" of red wine each evening with dinner and I have more on the weekends when the mood is right.

:love: Why if I wasn't already married....:love:

:wink:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

My sister's vice is coffee - she says she only has 1 cup all day, it just never gets empty :bigsmile: That would work too.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Don't know if it's necessarily bad for you, but there is nothing like an ice cold Guiness Stout off draft. Less calories than most domestic beers, and enough vitamins and minerals to keep you alive on it's own. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.....Guiness......:heart::drinker: :heart:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    i mix a liquor like malibu with a diet soda for a low calorie long drink.

examples are:

malibu/vodka/rum and diet coke
    Passoa (tropical fruit liquor) with diet sprite etc.

mmmmm Malibu and Diet Coke is my favorite drink and everyone always looks at me like I'm a nutjob when I order it!
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    Don't know if it's necessarily bad for you, but there is nothing like an ice cold Guiness Stout off draft. Less calories than most domestic beers, and enough vitamins and minerals to keep you alive on it's own. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.....Guiness......:heart::drinker: :heart:

I agree--yummy. Almost a meal replacement!!