Portion Control

Options
I'm a 58-year-old Japanese man from Iwakuni, Japan. I advocate that portion control is an indispensable element in our fight against excess weight. Cutting back on our food intake in the evening is especially important because most of us don't move a lot in the evening 'til next morning. Working out is also important, but it's difficult to continually work out. So folks, why don't you give it a shot and start cutting back on your evening meal ?
I stopped car snacking and started eating less a month ago, and my BP returned to normal and hopefully I lost a little weight too.

Replies

• juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a lot of difference on which meal of the day you cut back, at least not in weight loss (how you personally feel is another story).
    The only thing that matters is a caloric deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about calories in vs calories out. Portion control is a sensible way to ensure that calories are in the right range. Timing of meals is not essential, but can help with compliance, and evening snacking can for many people mean too much of the wrong foods. But there is nothing different about calories eaten at night vs calories eaten at other times. Our body burns the same amount of energy no matter if it comes directly from the food or from energy stored in the body. Good thing, really, if not we wouldn't live through the night.
  • MoiKarina
    MoiKarina Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference. When I eat a big dinner in the evening, my morning weight is higher than when I have a light one and this while consuming the same amount of calories in total.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference. When I eat a big dinner in the evening, my morning weight is higher than when I have a light one and this while consuming the same amount of calories in total.

Well that makes sense, you ate more the evening before and some of it is still in your gut. If I eat 300g of food, I'll weigh 300g more immediately after and that will slowly decrease as the food is processed and burnt. If I eat 800g of the same food, the same thing applies, but slower, because there is more food to get through. But that isn't necessarily indicative of the overall trend.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No. I do wut I want.

1359834832361029823.GIF
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I can attribute a number of events to big weight gains. 1. a job that I took that involved a long commute by car each day. My car became an extension of the kitchen - stocked up just in case I got caught in traffic. 2. A gift of a set of steak plates - portion sizes were then maxed up to fill the plates.

Fast forward a few years ... Steak plates have been donated to a charity shop and strictly no eating in the car allowed!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Inathy,
    Great loss!!!