too much protein?

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I only know the basics of nutrition, but I always thought protein would be better than fat/carbs, especially when I'm weight training etc. However, I've been filling out the food journal on here for a week and I am in the red for protein every day!

What does this mean? What implications might I expect from a diet that's heavy on the protein?

Replies

• determined99
    Options
    im the same...usually under in all departments but over in proteins everyday
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    In the short term, none really, excess protein is less prone to be converted to fat then say carbohydrates. When I was taking in to much protein I was tired all the time, but rather then take in less protein I took in more carbs to balance it and I was fine (I'm trying to gain weight). In the long term you can be hard on your kidneys but thats years of going way over your protein limit. Also keep in mind MFP sets its protein limit kind of low, so if your going by MFP restrictions and your not going that much over I wouldn't worry about it.
  • loleepolee
    Options
    Hello htimpaired,

I completely understand! When I first started MFP a week ago I was over doing the protein as well. My experience was going from vegtable proteins (low quality protein) to poultry and fish (high quality protein). I thought those protein quantities would be equal however I learned they are not. I did have to cut my portions of the high quality due to overloading on this food per meal. I learned that my energy level became higher (due to more carbohydrates) and I had a more balanced way of eating. I still go over my protein on some days because this is a learning process. However, I will balance my meals with a lower quality protein during lunch and snacks then save the higher quality proteins for breakfast and dinner. I hope this helps!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    they list protein way low. You should remember though the quality of the protein counts in weight loss. Not all protein is created equally! Make sure you are going for lean proteins and limiting red meats ...