Cheating on your diet in your sleep

Options
emdeesea
emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
Morning all (well, it's morning where I am, anyway),

This is sort of a silly topic, I know, but I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who ever had *dreams* of cheating enormously on their diet. Not getting up and actually consuming anything in their sleep, like some sleepwalkers do. I mean simply dreaming about it.

I've been very good about eating within my calories on a daily basis since the first of April, and I still allow myself treats but I budget them into my calories, so I rarely go way over.

But last night I had a very vivid dream where I downed several cheeseburgers, fries, and LOTS of beer. I woke up feeling somewhat anxious (although relieved that it didn't actually happen!)

I chalk this up to a general anxiety dream. Wondered if anyone else has these occasionally?

Replies

• laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I feel awful at first and then realize I didn't really eat it, and I feel this immense relief. I dreamed of eating just ridiculous amounts of food that were all terribly high calories, then I felt absolutely miserable about it in my dream. Basically, the same thing that happens to me in real life, except VERY exaggerated.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    freud would love this thread
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I dream of eating most nights. Usually stuff I'm not supposed to have (re: high sodium due to HBP). I don't see it as weird or unusually since it happens to me most of the time.
  • ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    it happens to me all the time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: glad im not the only one :D
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Every time this happens I'd like you to then dream about doing a bunch of extra exercise to burn off those extra dream calories, followed by dreaming that you wrote a post in dream MFP about how guilty you felt about the extra calories you just ate. Title it something like "help me I binged" followed by admitting that it was only 300 calories of fruit and vegetables.

Ok thanks OP let me know how it goes.

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

(trolling aside I do think this is a good topic)
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had a dream the other night that involved me binge eating on everything in my house. I woke up so relieved that it didn't actually happen!
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I dreamed once that I woke up and it had rained skittles all night and there were 3 feet of skittles in the back yard. I ran outside and dove in. I didn't eat any, but I sure as heck was one happy girl.

The other day I dreamed I binged on a huge plate of spaghetti, butter and cheese and chased it with a huge pizza margherita.

Oh gosh. Now I'm craving. EEEK!
  • emdeesea
    Options

I think Freud would refer to this dream as an "infantile" one, as both the manifest and latent content are exactly the same: the fear of completely destroying my hard work with enormous amounts of bacon cheeseburgers and frosty mugs.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    happened to me at least 5 times. when i woke up i was feeling anxious at first but then it was a huge relief because i do binge eat sometimes
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    I dreamed that I was eating a giant marshmellow and in the morning my pillow was gone... (ok.. ya HAD to know this one was coming :laugh: )
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've had cheat dreams. It'd be one thing if I just dreamed that I had a feast of crappy food, but the fact that I *know* it's something I'm not supposed to eat large quantities of, that even my dream-self is aware of that, is creepy.

The past few months, I've found I become lucid at least 4-5 times per week (I don't know why, every few years the lucidity seems to strike me hard. I've done a lot of research on lucid dreams - briefly blogged about them. Lucid dreaming is nifty!), and sometimes it'll happen in a 'cheat' dream. Which is awesome, because then I realize it's a dream and it's not actually a real pizza, and it's not actually going to undo any of my hard work :P

I've also dreamed about logging or being desperate to find the calorie value of something (most recently, it was the Oprah Chai Tea latte from Starbucks - I ended up looking it up IRL the next day and then enjoying one LOL). I think that's a bit more 'normal' for me, in that logging is something I do every day of my life, so it just works its way into my subconscious.

ETA:

I think Freud would refer to this dream as an "infantile" one, as both the manifest and latent content are exactly the same: the fear of completely destroying my hard work with enormous amounts of bacon cheeseburgers and frosty mugs.

^ LOL and YES @ both these posts. Something seriously wrong, but hey, I'm a bit neurotic at the best of times :laugh:
  • emdeesea
    Options
    **I've also dreamed about logging or being desperate to find the calorie value of something (most recently, it was the Oprah Chai Tea latte from Starbucks - I ended up looking it up IRL the next day and then enjoying one LOL). I think that's a bit more 'normal' for me, in that logging is something I do every day of my life, so it just works its way into my subconscious.**

Oh yeah. I've had that one, too. More often, I keep pressing the wrong buttons over and over and over again, trying desperately to log my calories.

I used to have lucid dreams, where I could control them and the content, but not so much anymore. I think that's due to my level of utter exhaustion when I finally drop into bed at night.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Morning all (well, it's morning where I am, anyway),

This is sort of a silly topic, I know, but I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who ever had *dreams* of cheating enormously on their diet. Not getting up and actually consuming anything in their sleep, like some sleepwalkers do. I mean simply dreaming about it.

I've been very good about eating within my calories on a daily basis since the first of April, and I still allow myself treats but I budget them into my calories, so I rarely go way over.

But last night I had a very vivid dream where I downed several cheeseburgers, fries, and LOTS of beer. I woke up feeling somewhat anxious (although relieved that it didn't actually happen!)

I chalk this up to a general anxiety dream. Wondered if anyone else has these occasionally?
    Yeah, I've had binge dreams before. Glad they weren't real. :bigsmile:
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yup, often my dream foods are sweets. Hostess cupcakes and donuts and other carb, sugar, and fat bombs! lol. I normally feel awful then realize it didn't happen.

I like them because they remind me of how terrible I feel when I cheat that it stops me from cheating lol
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I once dreamed I was making pancakes over a campfire with Gene Wilder in his Young Frankenstein persona.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    People dream of having sex with others (so called married people who NEVER cheat do too I'm sure), so I don't find this and odd dream.
    When I quit smoking 10 years ago cold turkey, for about 2 months I dreamed of smoking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • emdeesea
    Options
    I once dreamed I was making pancakes over a campfire with Gene Wilder in his Young Frankenstein persona.

Okay that's definitely a new one.

Igor: "You know, I'll never forget my old dad. When these things would happen to him... the things he'd say to me."

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "What did he say?"

Igor: "'What the hell are you doing in the bathroom day and night??! Why don't you get out of there and give someone else a chance??!'"
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    People dream of having sex with others (so called married people who NEVER cheat do too I'm sure), so I don't find this and odd dream.
    When I quit smoking 10 years ago cold turkey, for about 2 months I dreamed of smoking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I had a dream I was having sex with a cheeseburger.

Please advise.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    step_brothers_film_sleep_walkers.jpg