Sugar

Options
jeffk330
jeffk330 Posts: 5 Member
I'm usually over my sugar goal because of all the fruit that I eat. I don't drink soda, don't eat sugary cereals, don't add sugar to any of my food. Is the sugar in fruit just as unhealthy as any other type of sugar?

Replies

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Technically, fruit sugar at it's simplest form is the same as other sugars. However, the way it is digested is not the same, imo. Plus it has lots of fiber/vitamins/antioxidants so there are just way more benefits to it. I usually go well over my sugar goal too because of fruits but it hasn't caused a problem so far. I just feel more energy without the "crash" that usually comes with the other types of processed sugar. However, if you are pre-diabetic or already have diabetes, you might want to check with your doctor first...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    As usual, taken in moderation sugar is fine for most of us. Makes losing weight easier to not cut out something you like. I never once tracked my sugar, and it never held me back :)
  • Ktanaqui
    Ktanaqui Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been under the sugar goal yet, because I eat so many fruits + 100% (no sugar added) natural Apple Juice (nothing but the juice). The natural sugars that occur in fruit and veggies is a different kind of sugar and the body accepts it differently, though. It's why I've never stressed the sugar goal - I'm mainly worried about the calorie and protein count. For you, you really need to only be concerned with the calories, I think.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think there is a bit of misinformation here. Yes there are different kinds of sugars, and they are different, but what it comes down to is how its digested. I have the actual numbers somewhere, but its too late to hunt for them, so Ill make it simple. Some sugars may account for a different amount of calories than others. Weight loss is a pretty simple formula, which people often over complicate for unnecessary reasons. Its completely based off Calories Out>Calories In. As long as you have a higher output than input, you will see weight loss. You could eat only sugar cubes and lose weight, as long as its less than your output for the day. 1lb of fat is ~3500 calories, so for every 3500 calories deficit (weekly or whatever), that should (in theory) be 1 pound burned. Obviously you shouldnt just eat sugar cubes, but thats just an illustration.

Now if you are monitoring your sugar levels for diabetic purposes, thats a bit of a different story. My main suggestion in that case would be to rely on your testing meters, because you will get the most accurate readings