Struggling with eating the right amount of food.

Options
I've always tended to eat too much or to eat too little. Any advice about eating the right amount?

Today I planned out what I'm going to eat, and even though I feel like I'm eating a ton of food, I'm still a few hundred calories under 2000. I've been in a period of eating too little lately, but I'm at a point now where I'm starting to work out and looking to maintain weight while lowering my body fat percentage. I know I need to get enough food in order to do that, but I struggle with getting enough without getting too much. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If it's an issue of eating over, you're starting at the right place with pre-planning and tracking, measuring and weighing everything

If it's not enough calories, look for higher calorie snacks that fit into your goals like peanut butter, ice cream, cheese, or even alcohol!

Just need to keep it up consistently and make sure you know your maintenance level. It can take a little bit of trial and error.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Jkwolly i have the same problem with not eating enought i workout a lot so it it seems i to am always under ,i do not eat all my calories back from exercise but i do try and eat at least 1/2 . i have found that if i add CLEAN snacks like avocadoes ,almond ,almond butter , cellery with almond butter,or apple with almond butter ,hummus and veggies, look on pinterest for GREAT CLEAN foods and snack and if its fat you are trying to loose then stay way from sugary snack and Alcohol as its empty calories .
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Exact maintenance level is nearly impossible to predict, every day for the past 2 weeks, ive accidentally gone slightly over MFP's maintenance level for me, it keeps promising I weigh more in 5 weeks but instead I'm still very slowly losing.

Just set your goals, whatever MFP level is for you, eat more some days, and some days just eat less.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Jkwolly i have the same problem with not eating enought i workout a lot so it it seems i to am always under ,i do not eat all my calories back from exercise but i do try and eat at least 1/2 . i have found that if i add CLEAN snacks like avocadoes ,almond ,almond butter , cellery with almond butter,or apple with almond butter ,hummus and veggies, look on pinterest for GREAT CLEAN foods and snack and if its fat you are trying to loose then stay way from sugary snack and Alcohol as its empty calories .
    Calorie is a calorie.

I never said alcohol was "nutritional" or "clean", plus "clean" is debatable :drinker:
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying to eat more high calorie stuff until you get used to it! I'm with you on this!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Actually, I wouldn't sweat being under a few hundred calories (i.e. like 200). You may be over 200 tomorrow. Look at your week and also see if you gain if you are stably that low.

I do make an effort to eat more when I am 500 or more under. Easy fixes are a big glass of milk and some nuts or toast and butter. I have ice cream every night. I eat it sparingly, but you might have room for more. Ben and Jerry's is very calorie dense.
  • bevmcarthur
    Options
    Calorie is a calorie.

I never said alcohol was "nutritional" or "clean", plus "clean" is debatable :drinker:
    [/quote]
  • bevmcarthur
    Options
    No you didn't say that Alcohol was but if you look above my post someone said to have alcohol or ice-cream .And yes a calorie is a calorie but if someone that was still eating under there calorie but it was a lot of high sugar and processed food they are going to hang on to the fat around there mid section and other areas and your body fat is going to be higher . AND I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS YOU
    Calorie is a calorie.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • wise1owl
    wise1owl Posts: 9
    Options
    Exact maintenance level is nearly impossible to predict, every day for the past 2 weeks, ive accidentally gone slightly over MFP's maintenance level for me, it keeps promising I weigh more in 5 weeks but instead I'm still very slowly losing.

Just set your goals, whatever MFP level is for you, eat more some days, and some days just eat less.

Amen to that. Just keep in mind that MFP is a guide, not a god. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to hit exactly on your goal every day.
  • bevmcarthur
    Options
    OPPS my first post i put in the wrong name sorry Jkwolly its was to go to the person who was asking the question
    No you didn't say that Alcohol was but if you look above my post someone said to have alcohol or ice-cream .And yes a calorie is a calorie but if someone that was still eating under there calorie but it was a lot of high sugar and processed food they are going to hang on to the fat around there mid section and other areas and your body fat is going to be higher . AND I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS YOU
    i have the same problem with not eating enought i workout a lot so it it seems i to am always under ,i do not eat all my calories back from exercise but i do try and eat at least 1/2 . i have found that if i add CLEAN snacks like avocadoes ,almond ,almond butter , cellery with almond butter,or apple with almond butter ,hummus and veggies, look on pinterest for GREAT CLEAN foods and snack and if its fat you are trying to loose then stay way from sugary snack and Alcohol as its empty calories .
    Calorie is a calorie.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to get to maitenance as well. I am aiming to be at 2100 by June 21st....summer time

I am quite comfortable eating 1850 and even under sometimes...Last week I had 800 calories left over on Sat/Sun after prelogging for the week. So I made this heavenly peanut butter cheese cake and had a slice...well 1/2slice and a drink...there went those extras.

Even when I raise my calories to 1900 next week I probably wont hit it through the week but htat leaves me with lots of play on the weekend...ditto as I get closer to actual maitenance calories and I am good with that.