NSV - 10 miler DONE!

jessbro1977
jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
So my friend thinks I could be inspirational to others and wants me to share "my story" with others. I promised I'd share once I finished my race Saturday so here it goes...... I've always been a bit "chunky" growing up. In fact, my father had no problem telling me I had fat feet and at seventeen I was voluptuous in my prom dress. What 17 year old wants to know they are by definition attractive due to large hips and breasts?? And what father says that to there daughter? I was always the "smart" one. So as the smart one, I went to school, married my best friend and had four beautiful daughters, after my fourth daughter I went back to school to become a nurse practitioner, while working full-time and raising a family. When I finished my masters degree, my husband and I decided our family wasn't quite complete and I became pregnant with my 5th daughter. izzy. WOW what an eye opener that pregnancy was! At 25.5 weeks I was told I was showing signs of HELP syndrome and put off work, with weekly labs. Then I developed gestational diabetes and taking insulin 4 times per day, if that wasn't enough of a challenge, I then had high blood pressure and started meds for that too. Thankfully, my Izzy came into our world happy and healthy. SHE was just what I needed to motivate me to take better care of myself. I started out the end of July doing c 25k- the first couple weeks were horrible,I HATED it! I hated running all my life. After I got past the vomiting, shin splints, I was Finally ready for my first 5k- color run and it was FUN! I then found myself wanting more and signed up for a 10 k last Thanksgiving and did ok! Several 5ks, two 10ks later, I signed up for a ten mile race! What was I thinking??? I had none of my running partners with me signing up,it was just me! Well Saturday morning, I woke up with my husband and five daughters and drove to Chicago. Standing by myself in the corral was so intimidating, but then I saw my husband and girls on a hill waving and smiling at me, how could I not feel great?? It was now my turn to start this crazy race and I was READY! I started out slow, trying to save the best for the end... Beat my last 5k time, beat my last 10 k time, but then I started to feel the stomach cramps, exhaustion, I continued to run, even though it hurt, around mile 9 I didn't think I could keep it up but there they were my,girls and husband, cheering everyone on!!! Once I saw them, I really kicked up my pace, they all hig dived me while I passed them, they were smiling and cheering me on!!! ( it's usually me cheering them on) as I crossed the finish line at the 50 yard line in soldier field, I could never be more proud of how far I have come!!! It was AMAZING! I NEVER thought I'd be able to say I ran a 10 mile race!! And now I'm ready to go for the half!!!! My Izzy turns 1 the end of this week and she and I have both grow so much over the last year! I hope my story helps others know that no matter what, we can do what we put our minds to!! I hope someday my daughters will look back and know I did this for them, I want to be healthy for them! I want them to know their father and I see them as not just the smart one, the athlete, the blondie, the peewee and the baby! They are all smart, beautiful and capable of doing whatever they put their mind to!! Thanks for reading and keep pushing on!!

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    What an awesome achievement! Bravo!
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    great job :flowerforyou: you are doing fantastic and you are teaching your kids a powerful thing about taking your life into your own hands and working for what you want. keep it up :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!