how do you deal with staying away from tempting foods

Options
i have a massive sweet tooth but unfortunately when my mum has guest she'll buy sweets and junk food and i always have to sit and look and it and feel angry that i cant eat it. it honestly makes me so frustrated. i have to eat healthy everyday and stick to a certain calorie deficit or else i'll get fat. i gain weight really quickly so i cant really afford to treat myself unless i exercise. it makes me so angry when my mum buys junk, knowing ive struggled with binge eating and still do and that i have to loose weight.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to eliminate them entirely, I've learned to enjoy these things in moderation and let them be a very small part of my otherwise super awesome and nutritious diet. You don't get fat from certain foods...foods aren't fattening...eating too much food is fattening.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat it, enjoy it and log it!!! No foods are off limits for me!! I try to come in over my protein goal and under my calorie goal, but some days I dont. As long as I am consistent, I come out fine :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    it may seem silly but every time you are craving junk food or feel a binge coming on just think to yourself "i need to lose this weight more than i need x food". it worked for me, and eventually the cravings will become less and less frequent.

its all mentality, you need to find your own drive to make this work
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The reality is, the temptations are always going to be there whether it's with your mom or stopping at a coffee shop with friends. You have to know how to fight the fight or to succumb to the temptations and then compensate for that. It sucks, I have a house full of junk food junkies but I can't make that choice for them only for myself and so I had to teach myself to NOT want the things they have in the house.
  • healthnaturalguide
    Options
    i drink more coffee
  • No_excuses_nikki
    No_excuses_nikki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find substitutions.....

Chips my substitution is cucumbers vinegar & dill weed
    mashed potatoes my my substitution Mashed cauliflower
    candy my substitution grapes
    pasta my substitution spaghetti squash
    chocolate my substitution chocolate pb2
    juice my substitution lemon water
    I have many.

but remember nothing is off limits... you can indulge just not daily and in moderation... :D
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a book that has a thought for the day and ways to overcome temptations. PM me if interested and I can send info.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The reality is, the temptations are always going to be there whether it's with your mom or stopping at a coffee shop with friends. You have to know how to fight the fight or to succumb to the temptations and then compensate for that. It sucks, I have a house full of junk food junkies but I can't make that choice for them only for myself and so I had to teach myself to NOT want the things they have in the house.
    ^^
    This is exactly it. If you're a binger, it never really leaves you, but you will find as time goes by the temptation will become easier to deal with. On days when you are tired or stressed, it will still be hard. And sometimes you will give in, then you will have to try to make it fit as best you can. Don't make the mistake though, of trying to make up for it by not eating for the rest of the day or something. That will backfire pretty quick. So, budget in the odd treat, so you aren't deprived, work daily on your self control, and good luck. It's a lifestyle, and you are the only one who can help yourself. Maybe you can talk to your mom and have her buy things that aren't so tempting to you. For example, I love apple fritters, can't say no to them, but ginger cookies or muffins, not so hard. Good luck. One day at a time.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There are no foods that are off limits for me. I eat anything I want, but the key is the amount. I can now eat 2 or 3 chocolate chips and be satisfied, not the whole bag. I have all sorts of chocolate, cookies, etc. around the house. I just finishe baking a chocolate decadence dessert and oatmeal muffins. I eat socially 3X/week. I am following the guidelines in Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth. For me, it does not work to get rid of all the junk food in the house, because I often go out to eat, potluck, parties, etc. I wanted to learn how to control my eating no matter what environment I'm in. I am losing weight and within 5 pounds of goal.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have an ice cream problem. I've started buying it in single portions instead of a big tub. It costs more to buy single portions, but I can't have two or three servings that way. It works great, and I fit it into my calories and macros. I try not to eat it a lot but it's my biggest weakness.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    IF 5:2 does the trick for me!
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Eat these 'tempting' foods in moderation.
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find eating more protein like beans and lentils. Low calorie and fill you up. Make sure you have enough for each meal. Don't skip meals and don't leave it too long between meals. Should take care of cravings. Then when its plopped in front of you you'll be saying I don't want this right now. That's what my holistic nutrionist says and it works for me, when i apply it ;-)
  • oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If I have a sweet craving that gets out of control I drink water bottle with a Crystal Light packet. It's so sweet, I usually will guzzle it then my stomach is full. Then I forget about the cake or cookie I wanted.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I went on a very low-carb diet (family history of type 2 diabetes), and the cravings for sweets just went away completely.
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to eliminate them entirely, I've learned to enjoy these things in moderation and let them be a very small part of my otherwise super awesome and nutritious diet. You don't get fat from certain foods...foods aren't fattening...eating too much food is fattening.

I agree with you 100%. If I could lose weight eating 2300 cal/day I would be able to fit some sweets into my diet too.
    I can't fit them into my 1600 calories/day diet
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my goals for the day, I eat it. If it doesn't and I super want it, I jam in an extra workout in for the day.

That said, I don't really have cravings. I snack pretty much all day long - so I don't think I have time for them to form. I eat lots of nuts, fresh fruit, veggies and stuff like that. I pre-log everything I've chosen as a "snack" that day to make sure I'm on track.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away from them because that would cause a sad :cry: but I will throw in some more exercise miles/time when I indulge.
  • michab108
    michab108 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've found that sugar free gum in my favorite dessert flavors works well. Extra makes lemon bar, root beer float, key lime pie, peach cobbler, strawberry shortcake, mint chocolate chip and orange dreamsicle.

Also, try mashing up fresh fruit and putting it in the freezer. Before it gets totally frozen, it's like eating ice cream.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I figure out how long it's going to take me to work it off. For example, I really freakin' want a donut right now, they're 350 calories, that's 45 minutes on the elliptical and I'm out of calories for the day. So no, I don't want to do 45 minutes on the elliptical just because I want a donut.