Replies

• LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago. After getting my dosage correct, I continued working out several times a week (4-5 days per week at that time) and watching my caloric intake. I've never messed with changing the foods that others have listed... Some of them I eat, some I don't... But I'm an "everything in moderation" kind of girl. And while I know that there may be foods that have an effect on my thyroid, I've lost down to my goal twice (once after my diagnosis, then again last year, after I had cut the workouts and regained a bit of the weight, but not all) and have been in maintenance since August. I think that, even with an under-active thyroid, it can be a matter of trial and error to find what will work best for you.

Additionally, there are other medications (I didn't read ALL of the replies, so I apologize if someone has all ready said this) that can have an effect on how well your thyroid medication works. Because either the thryroid meds or the disease itself (I forget which) can cause our iron and iron retention (ferritin levels) to drop, many of us have to take iron supplements. You can't take the iron WITH your Synthroid, nor can you take iron-containing vitamins or antacids. I also have GERD (commonly called acid reflux), I take a prescription dosage of Prilosec. I have to take that separate from my Synthroid as well. When I was taking metformin, I couldn't take it with my Synthroid, either, as the Synthroid needs to be taken on an empty stomach and the metformin needs to be taken with food. It can be extremely frustrating, trust me, I know, but it really does make a difference. Once I figured all this out (with the help of another hypothyroid friend) and started taking the meds when I should, separately, my doctor actually had to DECREASE my Synthroid dosage. She had raised my dose twice before that, but because I was taking my vitamins & Prilosec at the same time as the Synthroid, it was causing the Synthroid to be less effective.

Being hypothyroid is just another challenge in the journey to lose weight... It was really rough for me to adjust to, as I had maintained my weight as an adult, staying around a size 10 for many many years, happily. I hadn't really had weight problems. It can be really easy to just resign ourselves to staying fat because our bodies have 'betrayed' us... But you CAN make the changes and become a healthier, happier you. Keep working at it, find what works for you, remember you didn't get to where you were overnight and the changes you're making won't happen overnight either. Just keep going, don't let it drag you down. Each day is a new start and a chance for you to make good choices. Best wishes to you. I know it's hard, but I believe you can do it!

ETA: My ticker shows 48 lbs lost. That's since my high weight, right around my hypothyroid diagnosis in 2010. Since joining MFP in January 2012, I've lost about 28 lbs.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    bump
  • FitMommyLuv4
    Options
    Bump for later..
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bumping to read all later
  • redshaz73
    Options
    Hi there

I too suffer with an underactive thyroid for which I take Levothyroxine. I am losing weight but very slowly. I have recently started taking a sea kelp supplement which is one of the best natural sources of the mineral Iodine which is an essential component of the thyroid horomone. My doctor advised that its safe to take this with my medication as it will help with my metabolism.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid, on Armour currently and my labs are stable. When I do the 'right' stuff, I lose pretty steadily (I've lost 30lbs, I just reset my ticker for a fresh start this week after a couple months of struggling with my binge eating issues).

I got virtually no benefit from using only Synthroid/Levothyroxine. Armour is MUCH more effective for me.
  • liztall01
    liztall01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been know hypo for over ten years (15?) Make sure your lab work is up to date and really track what you eat. You're probably eating something that I refer to as a "food bomb" that you don't think is highly caloric or maybe you're portions you are tracking are incorrect. I'd get an actual measuring cup and use that for a week. You'll be shocked. I remember looking at my plate at what a serving of pasta was and groaning.

I'm virtually surrounded by my underweight family that needs to eat big meals to gain! They eat cookies, cake, McDonalds you name it. Nope I'm different and am clearly not swimming in the same pool.

Measure those portions! :D