Atkins any thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    A lot of people tend to think Atkins ='s meat and nothing but meat. That's not entirely true. The induction phase is technically only supposed to be 2 weeks and it's that phase that makes you eat 20 grams or less of carbs. You can have veggies, especially ones like greens and broccoli, etc, but that phase is mostly meat. Some people stay on induction for more than 2 weeks as you do lose faster during that phase, but a lot of people move on to the next phase and still lose just fine. If you follow the program, you eventually end up eating fruit again along with a wide variety of veggies, even things like brown rice and whole wheat bread. Some people claim it makes them feel bad; headaches and fatigue. This did happen to me, but it passed after a day or two on induction. After that, I had tons of energy and I even stopped craving sweets.

It is not for everyone as it has no restrictions on saturated fat and it does involve a lot of protein. I had great success with it 15 years ago, but then I went off to college. It's pretty hard to stick to no carb when your roommate orders pizza every evening and thinks beer should be drunk more than water. :)

At this point in my life, I'd rather eat what I want in moderation and just count calories. It's easier. I don't feel as if I'm depriving myself and it's working. I still tend to eat low carb most days. It's not really on purpose, just evens out that way. I don't think sugar is all evil, but the amount of sugar in the American diet is atrocious.

Really though, it's whatever works for you. If you think you can stick with it, go for it.