OMG, I'm OVER my calories (epic rant coming up)

Options

Replies

• Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Four calories over? I'm so not going to worry about THAT ish. I burn four calories just breathing. :bigsmile:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit dashboard has green, yellow and red. I always aim for green but if I'm in the yellow it doesn't bother me too much.
  • SeeKrisRun17
    SeeKrisRun17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never even noticed the red line. I care more about my weekly average than daily totals.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Agree with all this. They make a big deal about it being a calorie goal, and that you aren't supposed to eat under your calories, but even if you are actually 100% spot on it turns red! What message is that sending??
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the need for color coding in the first place. Hell we all know if we go over, they dont need to tell us. Its just like the change with blogs. I dont want a list determined by a vote of popularity. I was happy with the options before that. Sometimes you just need to leave things alone.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    That red line is scary - and because our goal is a TARGET not a limit, it would be better if it was shades of green if within say ? 5% / yellow 10% / red more than 10% - maybe contact MFP and suggest that idea for a future upgrade?

Love the idea of the sparkly rainbow colour for being on target :smile:
  • SexualJesus
    Options
    I don't mean to be malicious, but the original post is highly-neurotic.

First of all, you're getting upset over 4 calories? You probably burn more than that by merely thinking every day.

Second, use your head. I'm glad that there's a tool that provides a hard limit; I can understand why some people wouldn't want this, but if it bothers you then simply ignore it. It's a freaking different color!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be malicious, but the original post is highly-neurotic.

First of all, you're getting upset over 4 calories? You probably burn more than that by merely thinking every day.

Second, use your head. I'm glad that there's a tool that provides a hard limit; I can understand why some people wouldn't want this, but if it bothers you then simply ignore it. It's a freaking different color!

Have you even read the first post? She is not upset about going over her calories or the color, she is just stating the system is wrong and that people should not worry too much if the color is red because the logic behind the color coding is broken

Moving on.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Mine has been red so often lately the green startles me now. :blushing:
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the red at all especially since sometimes I pre log what I plan on eating. It's like it's saying "your big butt needs to stop now while you're ahead", or "nah, try again" lol.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I will admit this is very annoying to me and makes me feel like I went over 200 cals sometimes. But I just say I will do better tomorrow etc. Thanks!
  • nashay8910
    nashay8910 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't really freak out when I see red. When you are trying something different you are not going to get it perfect. You just know next time what not to eat. No you may not see green everyday, but it is still less and healthier then what you were eating. Playa's mess up to lol.
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If I go over a couple of calories and the nasty red number comes up ........... I have a fitbit and just walk around the house till the nasty red number disappears. Then I'm satisfied with both my days eating and exercise.
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tbh I could just poop and use up 4 calories... I just don't feel compelled to log it as exercise just to make my numbers green :sad: :bigsmile:
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I agree.. being under calories should be something other then green. The green/red just comes off as a binary Good/Bad when actuality is otherwise.

If this really really bothers you, I can put together a greasemonkey userscript that will change the color of the bar.

Maybe the bar should gradually transition colors when within 10% of goal.
    I've been thinking of making this suggestion for ages now.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Perhaps the background of the bar should always say "Emma, you are most assuredly awesome!"

^ This. :wink:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    They could use friendly yellow say 50 calories over and under. Then RED if you are more or less. Just an idea...

I completely agree with this...or even if it could only turn red if you are too far under or if you are going over enough that you are no longer at a deficit. Someone with their goal set to lose 1 lb per week that goes over by 4 calories is still at a deficit of nearly 500 (assuming they are logging accurately of course).

Not to mention people that are here trying to gain weight...particularly people recovering from an eating disorder. Way to make them not freak out when going over 5 calories would be a great thing and huge progress.
  • epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not to mention people that are here trying to gain weight...particularly people recovering from an eating disorder. Way to make them not freak out when going over 5 calories would be a great thing and huge progress.

THIS. That's what set off this whole rant for me too. Imagine those who need praise and reassurance for eating their GOAL calories (especially those with ED but also anyone) and get this huge red line which is like "boo you SUCK".

By the way, EVERYBODY is awesome :) not just the Emmas or the Amandas (haha), EVERYONE.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mine has been red so often lately the green startles me now. :blushing:

LMAO! Youre too funny :laugh:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain at the moment, so after setting a goal of adding 0.5lbs a week then the bar should be red if I'm UNDER my calories, as being under is not beneficial to my goals.