Tattoos after weight loss?

Options
jsecret
jsecret Posts: 606 Member
Wondering for those of you who have tattoos how they were affected by your weight loss? The ones on my shoulders/lower back I'm not worried about but the one on my bikini line after weight gain, pregnancy, and not weight loss I am concerned may not take all those changes well...

Replies

• countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I got mine when I was tiny, and since I have gained about 80lbs since I got it, it is now off center in my back instead of in the middle where it started out! I am curious to see if it goes back to being centered when I lose the weight!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When I reach my goal...I am getting a tattoo. Big ol' polynesian one on my shoulder!
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My first one I got when I was 18 (now 27) and is on the side of my lower back. I have gone up and down between the range of 125 and 180 during that time and have not noticed much change in it at all. The only thing is that the lines are not as sharp...but that is part of tattoo aging anyways!
    I also know someone who is pregnant and has a whole rib piece that goes down past her hip. She has taken pictures of it throughout the pregnancy and I have not seen any changes. Im not sure what happens afterwards though.
    Not sure if that helps at all...? :)

Oh and ps: that is my biggest motivational goal, a new tattoo once my goal is reached!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well the one on my bikini line is not small but not huge either, I plan on maintaining after I lose so worse comes to worse I give in and turn it into a tribal cover and run it from my bikini line up my ribs (ouch! i already have one there and it hurt like hell!) but i will not let it look like crap lol.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i've yo-yo'd since getting my tattoos, and they're fine...the elephant on my thigh could probably use a touch up but it's 11 years old already...but the rest of them are ok
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I have 3...one on each shoulder and a very large Eeyore on my lower back and I am very overweight. I got it when I was several sizes smaller but still overweight. There has been no change in it at all.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have 4 tattoos - and I've always been heavy, so I've strategically placed them lol. I'm looking forward to being able to get a "tramp stamp" on my lower back when I'm at my goal weight!! I have never gotten one because I really didn't want any eyes drawn to fat rolls!! LOL! :-p
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i've got a butterfly on my hip - the tails just got longer when i had a fatter stomach lol! i want to get one down my side (some flowers/vines of some sort) when i have a proper flat stomach again though - motivation to keep it flat!
  • Rissa1428
    Options
    I got my stars that are in my pic when I was tiny and they have been through pregnancy and weight gain and they still look good. The writing has only been through a 30 pound weight gain, and it still looks fine
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    When I reach my goal...I am getting a tattoo. Big ol' polynesian one on my shoulder!

Im getting my pather covered up and a chinese dragon snaking around my arm over my shoulder full sleeve baby ! I was getting this before I started losing weight but now will look much sweeter
  • MrsSeaShell
    Options
    I got my stars that are in my pic when I was tiny and they have been through pregnancy and weight gain and they still look good. The writing has only been through a 30 pound weight gain, and it still looks fine

1. I love the star tats!
    2. You look amazing & i dont think you should loose another 35 pounds because you look AWESOME
  • Rissa1428
    Options
    1. I love the star tats!
    2. You look amazing & i dont think you should loose another 35 pounds because you look AWESOME
    [/quote]

Well thank you!!

My pics are all prior to a 30 pound gain. I hoped that by putting them on my profile it would motivate me more, so when I log in at work and see that pic it keeps me away from the vending machines LOL
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that mine has shrunk, actually my sister pointed it out the other day too. Still looks the same, just smaller. It's on my lower back.
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    AGirlandHerFrenchie Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have 8 tatts - most of them in places that my weight gain/loss hasn't affected. The ones on my lower back, I don't think have changed but then again I don't look at them very often either.

I have a really large one that I want to get done once I've reached my weight loss goal but I'm not sure if I should wait until after I have kids because I don't the shape to be destroyed as I stretch and gain weight. Who knows, I think maybe it's different for everyone.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I have 8 tattoos and so far none of them have been effected, however most of my weight is in my belly and thighs, my tattoos are in/on: (in) bottom lip, on inside of both wrists, 2 on left ribcage, inside right ankle, on right shoulder blade, and on back of my right hip. My ribcage tatts fit on my left because the first one is very high up and small (its [in kanji] In Memeory of [english] Janakae) and the big one goes from the bottom of that to the top of my hip bone.
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I got a huge tattoo that goes up my sides and all the way across my lower back/hip areas. I gained about 60lbs after I got it, and now I've lost 80 and it still looks decent.
  • Bikeminx
    Options
    I think it depends if you get stretch marks, they can effect tattoos quite a bit If I remember right. I have the problem the other way around, I have stretch marks from pregnancy on my 'love handles', and hips where I really did eat for two lol. I'm hoping to get a tattoo over the top of the marks to cover them as they are quite nasty. The problem is that the ink can bleed into the scars :(. Has anyone ever done a tattoo as a scar cover up or for stretch marks?

Anyway I love tattoos so its great to hear about everyones! I'm sure they will all look extra great with the weight loss xxx
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :

Im getting my pather covered up and a chinese dragon snaking around my arm over my shoulder full sleeve baby ! I was getting this before I started losing weight but now will look much sweeter

that's slick, i'm going to get a pond on the lower half of my back with three lotus flowers floating in them...and on the right side of my back is going to be a huge phoenix (in asian culture the dragon is the ying and the phoenix is the yang...male and female) i think that will go well with the water fall that's on the left side already :bigsmile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    dang I'm bummed to hear of so many that weathered weight gain well.....mine didn't. It is on my very lower tummy, right next to my ahem, and I got it when I was 18 and small. Then I gained, and I got a giant stretch mark that runs right through it, you can't even tell what it was anymore...:frown:
  • Bikeminx
    Options
    dang I'm bummed to hear of so many that weathered weight gain well.....mine didn't. It is on my very lower tummy, right next to my ahem, and I got it when I was 18 and small. Then I gained, and I got a giant stretch mark that runs right through it, you can't even tell what it was anymore...:frown:

Aww that sucks, yeah as I said stretch marks screw tattoos up big time :( if you go to a good tattooist you might be able to get it gone over and have a coverup of something else. Like I said I really need a massive one to cover all of my stretch marks, just need to find a tattooist willing to do it haha! X
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!