Ruined my metabolism by under eating..Help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    When I was in recovery for anorexia we would add 100 calories every week day to menu. I started off with 400 calories, we didn't rush it because it scared me. I took a tad longer, it took me about 2 months to get up to 1500 calories.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I too couldn't eat more than about 1200 without panicking about the scale numbers. I was either there, or in my binge place where I let go and hid under big clothes. I would pack away probably over 3000 cals a day on a normal day, and slowly gain weight up to possibly 140 ish (I never weighed myself) then go back to restricting. I wish I'd understood how scale gain has very little to say about fat percentage and muscle gain.

MFP has helped me eat normally again, I also had therapy about other issues, mostly anxiety related, but I was never a diagnosed eating disorder. There's been disorder all along though. I wish I'd gone for help 20 years ago instead of muddling through with various regimes, that mostly left me moody and imbalanced.

Nowadays I cruise along at a wonderful weight, 127-129, 1750 without exercise, up to 2750 with exercise, weigh myself every day, don't panic with the fluctuations because I know what causes them and how healthy they are. Ie, doing lots of weight training and running in one day, eating tons of food, and seeing the water, food weight and glycogen the next day is a thing to celebrate, because in a few days the body fat I've burnt will make me look leaner, after the repairs have been done and the water has gone.

I still have little fantasies about slowly cutting fat, but nowadays I look at my body which is about 18-20% fat curvy and strong! and think Mmmm I may run faster! and my jeans may do that loose hanging off me thing, but I'm looking great, and my boobs will shrink, and I'm so happy here! So I eat under by 50-100 cals a couple of days a week to feel that little bit of control. I also have party days too, where I treat myself but don't out and out gorge like I used to. It's wonderful!

Some say to weigh only after a rest day, with low sodium, and away from TOM. I think that's sensible. That'll be from the mouth of HeyBales.