SODIUM LEVELS - HELP

Options
Hi there!

According to the data-base generic steamed asperagus has 524 sodium whereas generic fresh raw (1 cup) of asperagus has 3 sodium. To my knowledge - they both have asterisks so they were verified. How is that possible?

Secondly, I am always under my 1200 calories but go over my sodium allotment. Can I still lose weight.? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Replies

• cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    >2014
    >not eating 9 grams of sodium a day
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    im not sure what that response ment....how much sodium per day are you eating ?
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight while being over your sodium. Its just not very good for you for various reasons. If you notice you're retaining weight, feel puffy or you have high blood pressure, cut down on it. Eating more fresh, whole fruits and veggies will help keep you under.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's possible the generic steamed asparagus was salted, or it just had so many confirmations that it got verified. Where I go for nutritional info says cooked asparagus has 14 mg sodium/100 grams. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2312/2
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sodium is such a debated topic. At bare minimum, I find it an indicator of overall diet quality. The higher the sodium generally the lower the quality of the diet is. Packaged and processed foods often are much higher sodium than whole natural foods. My best weight loss was when I was on a very low sodium diet.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

According to the data-base generic steamed asperagus has 524 sodium whereas generic fresh raw (1 cup) of asperagus has 3 sodium. To my knowledge - they both have asterisks so they were verified. How is that possible?

Secondly, I am always under my 1200 calories but go over my sodium allotment. Can I still lose weight.? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Entries with asterisks are entered by members so may be wrong. The entries without asterisks are entered by MFP or confirmed database so can be trusted. Do not trust any entries marked as generic or homemade and use caution with those marked with asterisks. If in doubt, use a trusted database.

You can be over your sodium allotment if you are consuming prepackaged, convenience and processed foods. There are many reasons to reduce your sodium intake. Both sodium and sugar will cause water retention that may mask fat loss.