newbie- with kids, and FT job

Options
HI im new here and am trying my hardest to lose some weight! I have 1 son and 1 step daughter. Im trying to find people with good calorie burning workouts i can do at home... i live in the frozen tundra of wisconsin and with winter coming cant take my 2 year old outside to play on frigid days... i have a yoga mat, resistance bands and hand weights. and room for aerobics tapes.... Im looking to see if any one knows of any good workouts i can do while at home... using things i have at home... i do try to do stiars but im not sure what im suppose to do...up and down? up all of them down all of them who knows... i do not hae the $$$ for a gym so i need to do this on my own at home...any ideas will help thanks

Replies

• shagybear33
    Options
    Hi!!

I just did Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred. I have two young boys (6 and 2) and also work full time. I found the 30 day shred was perfect as it only takes about 28 mins a day and you get a really great workout!!

Hope this helps!!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Hi! I too have 3 boys (6 and 4 yr old twins) and work FT and I do my workouts once they are in bed at night.

I would go to your library to see what they have, especially so you can try them out. But also exercisetv.tv, and my all time favorite, netflix streaming (and dvd by mail).
    good luck on your journey!
    ~ Sara
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ooh i love any type of "video" based workout ( i can pause if needed for temper tantrums and hair pulling LOL) I will definately pick it up! thanks
  • iawierz
    iawierz Posts: 65
    Options
    My husband has a video game system that we can stream netflix over so when I am stuck at home from frigid temps or kids I use netflix videos. There are plenty to choose from so that you never get bored. Plus with all the stuff you have available at home it sould be easy to find a few that you like. If you don't have that option, then you could try a membership where you get the dvd sent to your home. Keep it until you get bored. The turn around time is usually only 2 days.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    :) I also hail from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. Zumba is amazing -- it's a latin dance type of exercise. I've got three kids and they love just watching me try and get the moves down and will join me, too. Plus it's great because there are short workouts and then longer ones that you can do.
  • KristyF08
    KristyF08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with shagybear33 on the 30 Day Shred. I have two kids, one is 10 years and the other is 19 months old. I try to work out in the morning before i have to get ready for work (I too work full-time). I hate taking time away from the girls at night and by the time they go to bed I am ready to relax! I am currently on day 13 and on level 2 and it's still kicking my butt. I have lost several inches (more inches than pounds). It is a great workout and the best part it's only about 25 minutes! :happy:
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My husband has a video game system that we can stream netflix over so when I am stuck at home from frigid temps or kids I use netflix videos. There are plenty to choose from so that you never get bored. Plus with all the stuff you have available at home it sould be easy to find a few that you like. If you don't have that option, then you could try a membership where you get the dvd sent to your home. Keep it until you get bored. The turn around time is usually only 2 days.

Awesome, thank you! I just got my Wii set up to stream Netflix, I didn't even realize they had workout videos. I'm going to go and try one now!
  • shagybear33
    Options
    I agree with shagybear33 on the 30 Day Shred. I have two kids, one is 10 years and the other is 19 months old. I try to work out in the morning before i have to get ready for work (I too work full-time). I hate taking time away from the girls at night and by the time they go to bed I am ready to relax! I am currently on day 13 and on level 2 and it's still kicking my butt. I have lost several inches (more inches than pounds). It is a great workout and the best part it's only about 25 minutes! :happy:

Great job!!!! I too have switched my workouts to morning ones. I hate getting up early but it's worth it so that I have the extra time after work with the kids. Seems to keep me more energized throughout the day too!!
  • flutechick65
    flutechick65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I live in a cold climate (Saskatchewan, Canada) and have to move it indoors. Work f/t and live in the country (1/2 hr commute), joining a gym is not practical. I like doing tapes and I have a good one that is enjoyable "Fat-Burning Yoga for Dummies". Silly title, but I'm noticing it is effective. I even walk up and down my stairs for a workout or just do "step-ups" to music. I get out and go cross-country skiing for fresh air and exercise. Even when it is minus 30 degrees Celsius you can work up a good sweat and not freeze, but of course dress properly. When my boys were young they used to love to exercise with me, but mostly just being with them was exercise in itself. BTW we've had about 6 inches of wet snow last night.
  • sloanjr1
    sloanjr1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My wife really likes "lift weights to lose weight". It has 3 different workouts, 20 minutes each, one for core, one for lower body and one for upper body.
  • shagybear33
    Options
    Hi,
    I live in a cold climate (Saskatchewan, Canada) and have to move it indoors. Work f/t and live in the country (1/2 hr commute), joining a gym is not practical. I like doing tapes and I have a good one that is enjoyable "Fat-Burning Yoga for Dummies". Silly title, but I'm noticing it is effective. I even walk up and down my stairs for a workout or just do "step-ups" to music. I get out and go cross-country skiing for fresh air and exercise. Even when it is minus 30 degrees Celsius you can work up a good sweat and not freeze, but of course dress properly. When my boys were young they used to love to exercise with me, but mostly just being with them was exercise in itself. BTW we've had about 6 inches of wet snow last night.

I'm in Northern BC, Canada. We haven't had snow yet, but it's slowly creeping down those mountains!! LOL!!

Gotta love the workout DVDs!!! heehee!!
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your ideas... im going to amazon.com right now LOL
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    Zumba fitness is a good workout. You'll burn more calories just by trying to keep up with them. I love it and I recommand it
  • jackal75
    Options
    Ok cold weather people... I'm in Alaska, and I have snow on the ground.... LOL!

I happen to use the gym (the one I go to is only $15 a month), but I need to find something to do at home on days I can't get to the gym. That said... it doesn't have to be much, because I am losing weight with what I'm doing now. I just hit the 45lbs lost mark, and have 35 more to go.