Hellllpppp

Options
Hi I'm back for the 3rd time.... Fml I can't control my cravings and always give up after a couple weeks of counting calories. I'll lose weight but then for no reason I'll stop. I'm coming back at almost 190lbs. I feel like an idiot and don't know why I give up on myself so easily. Any advice or anyone experience this? I hate the way I look and feel. It's so sad.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is it a matter of you completely giving up the foods you love? if so then why not try working those foods in to your caloriue goals?
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about your diet, lifestyle, or goals. However, I'd like to offer one piece of advice. I feel that one of the biggest reasons people fail is because they set their weight loss goals too high when they start. Try setting your diary settings to 0.5 or 1.0 pounds of weight loss every week, and DO eat back calories from exercise. I'm not saying this for scientific reasons (though some will), but rather because being able to eat more will allow you to not suffer from hunger, and to occasionally eat something fun without guilt. It makes the diet more sustainable in the long run as you will be happier.

OK...I'll add a second piece of advice. Eat chocolate sometimes! And a pizza occasionally. You'll go crazy if you don't let yourself eat your favourite foods.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    this is everything I got...

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then read ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You have to change something. When a craving hits what do you do.. distract yourself? if you're one of those people that can build in a treat meal or splurge then will that help? look back at what makes you derail and do something different. If you keep doing the same thing, you'll keep getting the same results.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    um, what grace said and stuff.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    is it a matter of you completely giving up the foods you love? if so then why not try working those foods in to your caloriue goals?

Ding ding ding...we have a winner!
  • MrsBorderline
    MrsBorderline Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I feel like I always stick with it for a few successful weeks then the effort of making good decisions and actually logging my food and activity. My friends are not exactly encouraging either and tend to sabotage my efforts. This time around, I'm setting a shorter, more attainable goal and I'm going to try seeking encouragement on the message boards and through other MFP-ers. Join me!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Read all the links above because they have all the information you need to make a plan.

Most importantly - when you are ready to lose the weight you will . It's a decision. It's tons of daily decisions. You have to decide to do healthy things and have the patience to keep doing them.
  • rjchaney
    rjchaney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might also consider one of the 5:2 diet plans. I've boon on that, with success. On it, you don't have to say NO to anything, just "Not today."
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. Especially since Big Food has discovered how to hijack our taste buds and brain.

This is from Psychology Today:

Relapse is now seen as the rule rather than the exception in addiction recovery. And it is no longer viewed as a catastrophe but as an opportunity for learning more and better strategies for overcoming urges and for identifying the moods and situations that are likely to be difficult.

What is inappropriate is black-and-white thinking about success that turns a slip-up into a disaster and sees it as a sure sign of defeat. The fact is that it takes time to change all the mental apparatus that supports any particular habit-the memories, the situations that trigger craving, and more. Addiction changes brains, and it takes time to change brains back.

:indifferent:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAYS.

I ditto graceisjinxed's post. Go read those links. Don't give up.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that you can restart as many times as you're willing - so there's no limit! That's also the bad news.

You've already made the hard decision of "what" - to try to lose weight. Now it's the "how". So many people fail because they either don't know "how" or they lose their way. I have been both. I started on April 2011, and until March 2013, I had lost 115 pounds. Had Skin removal surgery, then lost my way for a bit, and am now back on track (finally) after about a year.

Things that have really helped me:

Getting a dietician. They can explain wha sorts of foods are better and why and help you develop a plan to do better. Mine told me to focus on protein and the fats/carbs would take care of themselves. I've found that to be pretty accurate.

Drink your water, drink less soda.

The more quality food you eat, the more of it you can have. We're talking about things like grilled chicken, ground turkey, having baked potato's with just a little bit of butter on it.....less fried things, less things swimming in sauces or dressings or cheese, etc. Less fast food, more whole foods.

Increase fiber.

Notice, I haven't said anything about necessarily counting calories....just making sure that what you eat isn't horrible for you.

I'm not talking about eating clean either. I allow myself reese's peanut butter cups and chocolate cake from time to time. I don't deprive myself, because the minute I declare I won't ever have something ever again, it's all I want. So I find ways to "get my fix" without having to have things in my house. I LOVE Barq's red creme soda. But it's basically liquid calories with no nutritional value whatsoever. SO, If I'm really having a craving for it, I can go to a White Castle and get it there - or go to a convenient store and get a bottle of it there.

Also, make the changes gradually. That way you'll be less likely to blow yourself out. Remember you're human, you will stumble. It's going to happen. Human's are fallible beings. Just remember that when you stumble....and put the it behind you and move on.
  • Cronin26
    Cronin26 Posts: 2
    Options
    my oh my do I hear you... I am left with what I call my "fat apron" after my three kids and am having one hell of a time keeping on track too! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can "fight the fight" together! My thoughts are if others can do it..... damn it so can we!
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Hmm. I don't know if this could possibly be the issue:

Don't burn yourself out. Don't suddenly go from eating a bunch of random crap all the time to only eating clean, don't go from eating 2000+ calories a day to suddenly eating 1200. Don't go from not exercising to suddenly spending hours at the gym.

What happens to me when I do those things? I give up out of exhaustion from doing that. I get grumpy due to being hungry and I get tired from upping my exercise so much. I had to actually stick to 5-6 days of exercise a week at 30-45 minutes per for right now as opposed to what I had started doing at 1.5 hours per day, every day.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Just like weight loss comes gradually, so should the changes you make. Sending your body out of whack will just bite you in the end. Doing it gradually makes it so much easier on your body. (and your mind!)