Is getting a trainer smart or a quick fix?

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i don't think it amounts to a quick fix lol.

anyone can do it with out them, most would learn something from a good one.

if you have the money at your disposal and it interests you great.

its certainly not a free pass not to do your homework, as the industry is over run with hacks
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Mine is helping me improve my form on the compound lifts so I won't injure myself as I start adding plates again... Since I only have two eyes and they're both in the front half of my head, I find this worth the money.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask this questions is because some people can lose the weight and educate themselves but shovel out tons of cash to get fit. Sometimes, they stop the training sessions and start to gain the weight back. I think having a trainer is a quick fix for a lot of people, not a solution to absorbing knowledge on how their body works and functions to improve their health independently. I lost 88lbs in the past three years on my own, no trainer or training buddy. I am glad I didn't choose one because it is easy to make excuses to not work out when your buddy or trainer can't show up that day or week.

You must take your health into your own hands, if possible, depending on your situation. What do you guys think, smart or quick fix?

I have a trainer and a coach. My trainer is for general strength work and my coach for sports specific training. Neither are responsible for my weight loss / nutrition or my cardio training. Although I do discuss general cardio requirements with my coach and ensure that my plans are not bone headed - it is down to me to execute those plans. Both my trainer and coach know that I am working on weight loss - all they concern themselves with is that I am eating at the right time to fuel their workouts - beyond that - it is down to me

So no - shelling out cash is not a "quick fix" to weight loss or fitness - as generally people equate fitness the cardio vascular capability - and no having a trainer / coach is not a crutch not does it make it easy to miss workouts ( quite the opposite in fact )
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I've had a personal trainer for almost 5 years. The first year I went once a week and lost almost 100 pounds while working with him. I was at the gym a lot more than once a week, but he helped me with fitness and nutrition. Then I went to every other week, so he could give me some new things to do in the gym and make sure I was doing things right. A little less than a year ao, he moved to a different city. I still use him, he writes my workouts and helps me through things when I get down on myself for fitness or weight.

I don't want to write my own workouts, he keeps me from getting bored, and keeps me excited about fitness...which makes me WANT to keep working out. Do I have to have him now, no; but I right now, I can afford what I pay him. The money I have spent on him has been well worth it to me.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I recommend using a trainer for a month and learning as much as possible if you've never worked out before. However, if the trainer isn't doing a good job with you, don't be shy about switching trainers. It doesn't take much to become a trainer and some have no certifications.

Once you feel comfortable with the exercises, save your money and get some good exercise books and look up exercises on YouTube.

I miss the early 80's when there were no personal music devices and no trainers and people helped each other out.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    <~~~ I have achieved my current state, pretty much on my own...

I just met with a personal trainer for the first time. Why? because I'm new to lifting and I don't want to injure myself. I want a professional to help me get my form down, and structure my workout in a way that is most efficient for the amount of time I have to commit.

Lazy? I don't think so.
    Wise? Yeah, that's more like it!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been working with my trainer for a year and a half. I see him once every two weeks with the occasional reschedule to three weeks between appointments. He keeps my lifting program in harmony with my medical condition. Without him I would probably run out of lifting ideas and get bored/quit, be completely unproductive by not pushing enough, and/or hurt myself by doing the wrong amount of intensity for my body.