Falling off the wagon.

Alright, so this last month, due to training for a new job and various other obstacles, my exercise and diet have been kind of neglected. Even though I've managed to maintain my weight (lost and gained the same 2lbs) I still feel like I kind of "fell of the wagon" and up until a couple of days ago, I was struggling to get back into the frame of mind I was in a year ago. (I have a 362 day logging streak, so only 3 days off my anniversary)

Anyway, I guess my question is this: How do you get your mindset backtracked to how it was before?

When I started out last year, I was absolutely determined to do whatever it took to get where I needed to be. I completely cut out anything that I deemed "bad. No chocolate, no crisps (or potato chips, as my trans Atlantic friends would call them!) no takeouts - nothing. I started eating fruit for breakfast, and I even gave up eating meat! (courtesy of having a vegetarian girlfriend, although, I still do eat fish)

It's good in a way, because I now know that even though I slipped up a bit, I was still conscious enough of my decisions to not put weight back on, I steadily maintained my weight, but now, with being at around the 275lbs mark (originally started at 404lbs) I feel comfortable, comfortable to the point I'm not as strict with myself as I was originally, and I just REALLY want to be in that frame of mind again!

Anybody else in a similar situation? If so, how did you/are you dealing with it? Once I've lost another 50lbs, I would be happy to maintain my weight.

Any and all advise is welcomed!

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Bump!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Not call things bad.

the reason you are dreadign it and not motivated is b/c you were all hyped up and gung ho and calliing things "bad" and not eating them. it's natural you don't want to go back to that kind of restriction.

This time you might get motivated faster if you decide no food will be bad but some will just have to be moderated more than others. More salads, less cookies. More chicken, less donuts. More broccoli, less lollipops.

That way you are not trying to get hyped up to walk the plank food wise.
  • _EndGame_
    Not call things bad.

the reason you are dreadign it and not motivated is b/c you were all hyped up and gung ho and calliing things "bad" and not eating them. it's natural you don't want to go back to that kind of restriction.

This time you might get motivated faster if you decide no food will be bad but some will just have to be moderated more than others. More salads, less cookies. More chicken, less donuts. More broccoli, less lollipops.

That way you are not trying to get hyped up to walk the plank food wise.

I admit, the first 3 months I did exclude anything I would class as "bad" from my diet - completely. However, I did start to eat the odd "bad" thing, and it didn't hinder my weight loss at all. I know calling them "bad" puts a taboo on it, but I did manage to eat them in moderation.

Like now for example, I am back on track, but I still semi crave the foods that I once again need to cut down on. My way of thinking about it isn't as dedicated as it once was.

I figured setting myself up with new incentives is a good start, it's just a case of sticking to them.

If only life didn't get in the way of... health?
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Set some new goals...Both short and long term...visualize them. Make a plan with steps to achieve them. Remember what your motivation is. Best of luck...you can do it!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Give yourself credit for not gaining the weight back. Giving yourself more flexibility this time around is another good choice. Here is a great link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    NO finish line! You have lost a lot of weight and done it at a fairly quick pace. It may simply be time to slow the pace and learn how to live with your new body. Never stop trying to be better stronger and healthier.
  • _EndGame_
    NO finish line! You have lost a lot of weight and done it at a fairly quick pace. It may simply be time to slow the pace and learn how to live with your new body. Never stop trying to be better stronger and healthier.

I know what you're saying.

I've been thinking about lowering my weight loss to 1LBS a week. Wanting to start lifting again, but I kind of have a dodgy arm at the minute.